Linux Support?

TCAdmin seems to be the best choice around for Game CPs. I am starting up a game server provider and intend to run wholy on linux.

However, I do not see Linux on your "Opperating System Supported" section. Is that an oversight?

If you do not support linux now, do you plan to in the future?

Is Windows supperior to linux for game server hosting for some reason?

Is it possible for the user to port the code over to linux?

Thanks!

We currently do not have linux support. We have a linux version in beta testing, but it will be a while before it is released. And no, we do not have any dates on completion for the linux version.

My personaly opinion is windows is better for hosting. but there are pros and cons to both windows and linux. We simply like windows because it is easy to use, and every game is pretty much guranteed to run on it, where some games cannot be run on linux at all.

I know this is kind of off topic but:

Would you mind giving me a few reasons OTHER than compatability and eas of use why windows is better for hosting?

Linux is more efficent, and I can use it very effectivly.

I know this is kind of off topic but:

Would you mind giving me a few reasons OTHER than compatability and eas of use why windows is better for hosting?

Linux is more efficent, and I can use it very effectivly.

It is an opinion. He even said that. Mainly he likes getting games on release day on his servers, instead of waiting for a stable linux release of the same binaries (if they even release them). If that doesn't matter to you, or doesn't affect you, then there is no problem with the compatibility.

Yes, SSH is a lighter protocol than rdp, but every OS has its pros and cons...

Dont forget the famous words of Rabbit... Go back serving your webpages, linux!

Oh please you got me wrong! I am not arguing pro linux right now. I am simply trying to make the decision before I buy my boxes.

I heard rummors that HLDS runs more efficently on Windows...

I heard rummors that Linux cannot run multiple 1000fps servers.

I heard that WIndows can only if it has Windows Media Player open.

I heard that Linux uses the graphics card to process the FPS in servers and windows doesnt...

So much crap out there....its good to get an opinion from experts such as you guys :grin:.

===============

Hence the question restated: In your oppinion, is windows supperior to linux in areas OTHER than timely releases?

Being pro-windows (since I like to use it :smile: ) I can only give my opinion. I personally think HLDS and Source run better on windows. The server seems smoother to me.

Now, take into account I simply play for fun and don't really care about FPS or tickrates etc..

However you do have to factor in the pros and clans that will want the high tickrate/fps servers because they think the register better etc... Is there any truth to it? Some providers swear that boosted servers run better. Personally I can't tell the difference. Then agiain I don't play around with configs and trying to get better FPS and rates on the clientside either.

Of course everyone has their own opinion on what HLDS runs better on. i have heard some stories that linux HLDS actually uses more RAM then a windows base server. However, I have never seen a huge difference between running them on our windows boxes or our linux boxes.

With RAM so cheap with dedicated nowadays, I feel the tiny bit of extra RAM required for the windows GUI is a small price to pay. So to summurize I would say the following.

Windows Pros:

1. Easy to use.

2. Secure, if you properly secure the box.

3. Constant updates and fixes.

4. All games run on windows, even some that do not run on linux.

5. Patches and server files are allways released for windows, whereas there have been times where linux patches have been months afterwards, or maybe not at all.

Windows Cons:

Cost for the license

Uses a bit more RAM to run its GUI

Linux Pros:

1. It's free for the most part, unless you use Red Hat Enterprise (which costs more than windows)

2. Uses less operating RAM for the system itself.

3. Does not require as many restarts as windows after updates.

Linux Cons:

1. Some games will not run on linux.

2. Patches and server files are delayed for linux sometimes.

3. Support is lacking. If you have a problem with the OS, where would you turn for help?

4. Many find it hard to work with since you need to memorize a billion commands to use it.

That would be my $.02

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our support tickets were halfed (perhaps even more) when we switched over to Linux from Windows.. I'm a Linux wh0re now. :smile: I personally think its a bit silly for not TCAdmin team to launch the Linux panel - it'll bring in so much more business - and thats SURELY what you want?

Cheers

Ryan

ill say this i have been renting wolf et servers and foud that the old unpatched version of the game runs flawlessly on a linux box compaired to a windows box,and am sad to see that u dont have tc admin for linux.as i was going to rent a linux sever :sad:.

You know, the more this posts gets dug up and the more they have to keep answering it... the less time they have to work on a linux version. You linux whores need to stop posting about it and register an account here. When you register, you will see more areas of the forums like the "Linux Beta" forum which will let you keep track of current status.

Honestly, if they released it right now and it wasn't working perfectly like the windows version, you would cry wolf and bitch and moan about it. When they wait to get it right, you bitch and moan about there not being a version for linux released. Now grow up and let them do their work before they decide it isn't worth it and scrap the whole thing.

• 1 month later...

I would like an ETA on linux support as well...

Game makers might not support it as well...fine, whatever. It boils down to cost. Linux uses less memory on each of our servers, while Windows uses more resources and costs $150 per box while Linux is free.

If the game maker doesn't support Linux, why is that a concern of TCAdmin?

I would like an ETA on linux support as well...

Game makers might not support it as well...fine, whatever. It boils down to cost. Linux uses less memory on each of our servers, while Windows uses more resources and costs $150 per box while Linux is free.

If the game maker doesn't support Linux, why is that a concern of TCAdmin?

Wow, $150? Since when does Windows Server (If you are hosting on XP, you shouldn't be in the business at all) cost $150?

I heard rumors that tcadmin-linux should be out of beta by December 31, 2099.

If it isn't, then they are behind schedule...

Why dont you signup with a name in the forums. More than likely, you are a troll, and just posting to the only place you can to stir up trouble.

Guest Unregistered

"Why dont you signup with a name in the forums. More than likely, you are a troll, and just posting to the only place you can to stir up trouble."\

I am not trolling, I am not a Linux fanboy. I am not trying to stir up trouble, I'm trying to figure out when linux support will be ready...it really isnt complicated.

Judging by the response of "When it is done" this community doesn't sound as professional as I was hoping. We have 12 Windows Serves and 35 Linux servers...TCAdmin looks like a superior product to most other panels, but If I cannot use it on 2/3rds of my boxes then it is of no use to me.

The rudeness of 'ECF' and others here has caused me to look elsewhere. Thank you all for your time.

Apparently being direct is the only way to answer the people that can't seem to read the thread.

We currently do not have linux support. We have a linux version in beta testing, but it will be a while before it is released. And no, we do not have any dates on completion for the linux version.[/Quote]

Sorry if I seem rude, but answering the same question numerous times, gets tiring after a while.

Judging by the response of "When it is done" this community doesn't sound as professional as I was hoping. We have 12 Windows Serves and 35 Linux servers...TCAdmin looks like a superior product to most other panels, but If I cannot use it on 2/3rds of my boxes then it is of no use to me.

This is the problem with not posting as a registered user here. There have been numerous posts asking about linux support and there is no way for users here to know if these questions are legitimate questions or a competitor flaming. As ECF stated above, there have been numerous posts asking the same question as your original question.

I have not seen the linux beta as I do not feel comfortable enough with linux to be of any help in beta testing it as I did for the windows version. However knowing the way the windows version works and the great support TCA offers, I am sure the linux version will be top notch also. I would suggest you trying the windows version and comparing it to any other products around. If it does fit your needs for windows, then I bet you will like the linux version also when it becomes available. Who knows, if you get to know the TCA crew, you may be ASKED by them to join the linux beta testing. (I am not affiliated with TCA in any way other than being a customer. But with 35 linux servers, I would assume you are very knowlegable and competent in linux administration, and TCA may consider adding you as a beta tester).

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates for the linux version? :p I'm probably flogging a dead horse like everybody else who's asked the same question but I've been checking back for quite a few months now and have mailed ECF asking for just a little info but with no reply. I assume beta testing has been going on for quite a few months and indeed the last post in this thread is a month old but still no news what so ever on the linux version? is the beta testing going well? almost complete? Ran into problems? Anything at all really, just something would be much appreciated as obviously due to the volume of requests you have had regarding the linux version theres quite a large number of people and gsp's hanging on for something. Without sounding too rude (if it does I do apologies) you could at least keep us all updated in some way be it large or small, I can only see disadvantages for keeping the linux community in the dark about the whole thing. Not all can keep hanging on for such products even though it's likely? to be the best available.

As you may have noticed we have removed any mention of linux from our main site. We are more than busy with the windows product, and we are just about to release a new version of our windows product geared towards datacenters.

So in order to support the latest version properly, we had to stop any linux developement for the moment.

We do have users that currently use the linux version, however it brings a whole new level of support to our operation that we simply do not have staff in place to handle. So instead of throwing it out with sub-par support, we had to make the decision to put it on the back burner.

If you are lookig for a linux control panel and need it ASAP, I would suggest grabbing one of the others that are availible.

There is no date that has been set for linux developement to begin again, and no date on when we will actually release a linux version.

Archived