Download & Compress scripts + "Get files from" bug

lilwiccaseba

FYI: Using Master server (Linux, Ubuntu) & Remote server (Linux, Debian).

The actual issue:

After using "Game Tools > Steam game downloader" on the Master server and Remote server for Left4Dead2, using compress_l4d2-linux.sh on the Master server, then creating a L4D2 server on the Remote server (which downloads the .tar.gz correctly), the game server can be started but querying it is impossible.

The console says a working Steam platform cannot be found - the game server itself however does work. But querying is impossible (and TCAdmin shuts down the server after 3 query retries).

Removing the setting "Get files from:" in "Game & Voice Settings" of the Remote server (so it copies the /l4d2-linux/ directory previously downloaded using "Steam game downloader") fixes the issue.

Extended info:

There are download_* and compress_* scripts in

/home/tcadmin/tcafiles/games/

Using the download script download_l4d2-linux.sh:

/home/tcadmin/Monitor/Tools/steam -command update -game "left4dead2" -dir "/home/tcadmin/tcafiles/games/l4d2-linux" -verify_all -retry

on both the Master and Remote server works fine, just as expected.

Then, I ran the compress_l4d2-linux.sh script on the Master server:

cd /home/tcadmin/tcafiles/games/l4d2-linux
tar --exclude=TCA.* -cvzf ../l4d2-linux.tar.gz .

This also worked as expected and created l4d2-linux.tar.gz.

At this time, my Remote server was configured to "Get files from: Master" in the "Game & Voice Settings" tab of the Remote server.

Creating a new L4D2 server on the Remote server worked. It first downloaded the l4d2-linux.tar.gz correctly (verified), then started extracting it.

Launching the game server also worked. Correct pid and everything, console says it's connected to the Steam servers. But: querying the game server (tried both "Current Activity & Stats" and "Game Query Tool") does not work.

However, the console also stated it couldn't find Steam platform (this isn't the exact error, but I don't have the log and have reinstalled the gameserver - I'll explain this further on).

Disabling the "Get files from: Master" setting on the Remote server and setting it back to "Local files" + removing the downloaded l4d2-linux.tar.gz from the Remote server fixed the issue.

Clicking reinstall correctly copied the files from /l4d2-linux/ (since the .tar.gz was removed and there was no "Get files from" setting) and started the gameserver. Querying the gameserver also worked just fine.

I do have -some- ideas as to what might have happened to cause this issue, but those are just ideas so if you know what's happening, please let me know. I'd absolutely love to use the "download&compress + 'get files from'" settings, but they need to be working perfectly.

Unless the issue was caused by myself, then I apologize. But I did triple-quadruple-check almost everything.

Maybe steam downloads different files depending on the OS?

Where it gets the files from does not matter but if steam is downloading different files when you execute on Ubuntu vs Debian there is nothing we can do about it.

Try compressing the files on the remote and upload them to the master. Configure the remote to download from the master again and create a game server.

Maybe steam downloads different files depending on the OS?

Where it gets the files from does not matter but if steam is downloading different files when you execute on Ubuntu vs Debian there is nothing we can do about it.

Try compressing the files on the remote and upload them to the master. Configure the remote to download from the master again and create a game server.

Both run on 32-bit and it would be strange if they'd download different files. Especially since the actual error is about a "missing Steam platform", which would made me think the base functions (such as Steam master servers, server querying, ...) are disabled?

Not that I'm saying it's impossible, but don't you think it's strange the actual gameserver was working?

I'll try out what you've proposed in the afternoon (it's 3.30am here).

LFA,

I've come to the conclusion that all L4D2 gameservers that are private (and, as such, have an sv_password set in their config file) cannot be queried by TCAdmin.

No exact idea why;

The RCON/Query settings for "Left4Dead2 - Linux" have been left at default and are:

Query protocol: Half-Life 2 new

Private rule: sv_password

Private rule value: 1

I assume this is probably where the error lies? Something happening here with these settings? Only when sv_password is not empty or removed from the config, this bug appears.

Mhm, came to that same conclusion. Strange programming habits, if you ask me..

Is it possible to disable the "auto-restart" and "auto-shutdown" functions on TCadmin when servers can't be queried, but only for L4D2? I assume yes so my apologies for asking a simple question. I'm on my iphone atm, so I can't check first.

Edited by lilwiccaseba

Never mind, I'm on my computer again and checked it myself - found it!

In case anyone needs the same thing:

" General Settings > Games & Other Voice Servers > Whatever game you want (L4D2 in my case) > Query Monitoring "

Thanks for the help, LFA.