Game services getting stuck on "stopping" periodically?

Choc_Salties

Got another peculiar hiccup that seems to be cropping up more and more - the game services willr andomly get stuck in a "Stopping" state, and the only way to get around it would be to either restart the TCA services, or if you know the PID of the offending game service stuck in the "stopping" state, to kill that.

Is this a noted bug and periodic server restarts recommended?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if they're related...

One thing I've noticed since the last update to TCA Version 1.0.4570.9274 is that my services don't restart when they crash and I never receive messages from TCA telling me they have crashed. I sometimes go in and see a server down and have no idea it's died. TCA say's it's running too. Has anyone else seen this? I getting ready to send a support ticket but thought I'd check here first

Edited by scso1502

Check the game monitor configuration. Make sure it is configured to restart the game server when the query fails. Also make sure the mail settings work so you get the email notification.

Thank you LFA, I already checked the game monitor settings, they were still set to restart the servers but it doesn't happen. The mail issue may be a different story. I'll be looking at that shortly, but the restart portion of the monitor is definitely not working.

We've been having this same issue - absolutely appears when the servers crash. TCA restarts service, (if selected) but the service comes back, and then is running twice. TCA then is unable to stop both services, and a stop/restart results in the inability to stop the server unless (as suggested above) you kill the pid.

Fairly sure it had to do with the last valve update, as have never experienced this in the past. Once the cause of the crashing is fixed, assuming it should be resolved?

-a

The mail service issue I reported above is not related and has been resolved. Just thought I'd throw that in here.

On a side note, TCAdmin will restart my crashed servers when they experience certain types crashes, but it appears it can't restart them in every case. Very bizarre. I agree, this just started with a recent update to TCA or TF2 for me.

Sorry i havent replied in a while, but it does occur randomly, and frequency of actual machine restarts doesn't seem to make a difference. This will happen on instances that need a restart, or have a restart set for them, or even when doing a batch update, when the game servers would otherwise be running happily for days on end otherwise in some cases. This seems to have become more frequent since a recent TCA patch, and nowadays i have to RDP into the box to either restart the monitor process, or find the offending process and kill it. If the monitor is restarted, it doesn't always sort the problem out, but killing the offending process does.