Security and Updates

cbox

Hi,

I have been using tcadmin for a while now to handle my TS3 hosting.

A few gameservers has been installed just for testing, but as i don't have the same expirience i would like to hear from you how you handle security and updates.

1. The users upload files that compromise the server.

I have seen the filename limitation but is it enough and does it cover both filebrowser and FTP?

2. The users change their config and hijack other users gameports.

3. Mods in general. Do you only allow mods installed though the CP or allow FTP/Filebrowser upload of them.

Also here, how do you prevent users to use the same ports as others for mods and how is security on mods.

4. Updates.

Do users update manually through the steamcmd or do you create a update package?

I hope you understand my thoughts and can help me clarify a bit.

Thanks in advance. :)

Sylvester Nielsen

i dont really know

i have never heard about that

it really depens on what game you plan on hosting. for counter strike source i have about 30 plugins in my mod manager. i allow client to both use ftp and mod manager to install plugins. i have disabled dll files through ftp as it can be used to hack servers. so if you disable dll for ftp, then be sure you have all the most known extentions and plugins for your game server on you mod manager

when a customer want to update hes server then he simply press on the update icon, it will then take the latest version from steam. i do not crate a package, i want it to run automatic.

Your name sounds nordic? what contry do you live in?

1- File system permissions are for ftp and file manager.

2- It can happen but it's not that easy. They can't take over another client's port if it is being used by the game server. The second client's service needs to be stopped so the first client's game server can use it. If you want to prevent this you could create a custom script for the before started event that reads the server.cfg and replaces the IP and port with the correct values. http://help.tcadmin.com/Custom_Scripts