Hl1 high tickrates

DanCF

I have a client who is looking for a 1000tick CS 1.6 server. I know that unlike source which maxes out around 100tick, that the HL1 engine can run very high tickrates such as this.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with how much CPU increase I am going to be looking at running a 1000 tick server instead of maybe a 100 tick server?

We found on running a 100 tick without WMP will make them run at a 50/66 tick server. With WMP it makes it run at 100 and you will also notice your free CPU usage to start to disapper. Heck let them put the quake 3 mod on that server and that game will run like BF2 :razz:

We found on running a 100 tick without WMP will make them run at a 50/66 tick server. With WMP it makes it run at 100 and you will also notice your free CPU usage to start to disapper. Heck let them put the quake 3 mod on that server and that game will run like BF2 :razz:

I dont understand your point.

Are you being Pro or Neg

Well i just solved the problem. I was spelling it sys_tickrate not sys_ticrate. I feel like a n00b. :oops:

Anyways the FPS is floating around 400 on the server, so I guess these higher rates are attainable on windows.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">ChrisOlver wrote on Tue, 18 July 2006 11:00</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

I dont understand your point.

Are you being Pro or Neg

</td></tr></table>

Thats up to you and your company. If someone pays for a 100 tick they will receive 100 tick, i know of other companies who dont and just give them the "bodge" 50/66 tick because of the Windows Timer being set wrong. But we do charge for the extra tick so if someone is willing to pay for the extra use of system resources then im all pro. As a gamer i really dont notice the different on a 100 tick and 33 tick, but again I think thats one of those Windows and Linux argueements which is never solved.

-Chris

Has anyone here ever experienced the cl_flush_entity_packet error?

The client's server of whom wanted to be boosted to 500 tickrate and 1000 fps started tweaking out with this error tonight. I have done some reading up on it and it has been described as "the mother of all lag errors" in which the server basically tells the client the packets are all messed up, dump the packets, and start over.

Given this server is running no a 2.8Ghz Xeon on high priority (the only high priority on the server) and is only a 10 man server, I wouldn't think the problem is resources. Is this most likely just the hl engine (windows atleast) not being able to crank out stable data at these rates?

Archived