Your Opinion On My Dedi

rs7588

I built this dedi over 2 years ago and have been using it to host games for my gaming community. Over time.. I have had a few people ask me to host games for them and it's becoming a nice side piece for extra cash.

I've purchased a few licenses and now plan on starting a small scale GSP using this server to start.

Here are the specs.

• ASUS KCMA-D8 Motherboard
  • Dual C34 Socket AMD Opteron 4170 Hexacore CPU's (12 physical cores in total)
  • 32GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1.5 TB HDD (72K RPM)
  • 700W PSU
  • Windows Server 2008 Standard R2

I used this server to host 200 slot teamspeak and about 6 16-24 slot hl2 servers. I never seemed to have problems with lag.. It's held up pretty well.

How capable do you think this machine would be for a startup GSP?

Depends, some games are quite CPU intensive. They require a high cpu core clock. However, source games should still be fine. UT/UDK games are a differet matter. And in my experience., you run out of CPU power long before you reach 32gb.

Thanks for you input. I will be running source games primarily. I want to be able to run anywhere from 200-250 slots on a single machine.

You think I could achieve this with a quadcore Xeon and 16GB of RAM?

I have noticed that TF2 servers have a nasty memory leak which causes the RAM to go up to 1gb in a week or so. but yeah, 200-250 slots should be quite doable. But the specs you gave earlier should work fine for that as well.

Thanks for you input. I will be running source games primarily. I want to be able to run anywhere from 200-250 slots on a single machine.

You think I could achieve this with a quadcore Xeon and 16GB of RAM?

Some of our clients do 200-250 slots on a 16GB Xeon, easy.

You should be able to with above specs. It all depends on how you manage your machine and the space within.

;)

Archived