HLDS only using CPU0

Brandon

Well we got our first game machine converted to tcadmin. It appears that all processes are running on CPU0 and are not being distributed across the other CPU's on our Dual Opteron Dual Core machine.

Is there anyway to make this happen without having to assign each individual process a CPU?

We are moving from another control panel that would automatically adjust the load across all CPU's. Tcadmin doesn't appear to do this.

Please advise.

By leaving the settings unchecked, you are in effect leaving the load balancing up to the Windows OS.

I recall offhand someone posting a similar issue with AMD CPUs.

Can you run a quick test, and fire up a game server on the desktop of that machine, and see if it binds to all CPUS?

TCAdmin doesn't handle the balancing unless you check one of the CPU boxes during setup. Otherwise, it simply turns it over to the OS to handle the CPU balancing.

The reason I was asking you to test a server running on the desktop was to see if windows would balance the load of the HLS.exe across all CPUs, or if it would simply bind itself to one.

This problem is with HLDS itself where it will only use CPU0. Unless set manually or switched by a 3rd party software. This is a major problem. What I believe needs to happen is that TCADMIN would need to run an affinity check after the process has started. We were using serverdoc before and this is what they did with their control panel. It seems to have fixed this CPU0 only issue.

Reference to the problem: http://www.mail-archive.com/hlds@list.valvesoftware.com/msg1 7582.html

"You need a program that can manually assign HLDS processes to physical cores AFTER they have been launched."

If that is the case, TCADMIN does not assign affinity unless it is specified to in the service settings. So this is where you would see the 1 CPU binding.

I will speak to Luis about the possibility of adding such a feature.

Yeah this isn't going to work if we have to manually set the affinity of each individual hlds process. Some use way more CPU resources than others. This would be a complete nightmare. Hopefully you guys can make a solution for this problem or we might have to revert back to serverdoc. After spending $2800 thats not something I'd like to do.

Anything is possible to do, just takes time.

However, we in no way want you using something you don't like.

I have put a hold on your payment amount. Worst case, you would get it back if something can't be worked out.

Worse case scenario I can do..

tcadmin > serverdoc > hlds

Tcadmin would essentially control the serverdoc application which would control the hlds application. This is a round about way to do this but I am certain it would work. Also this wouldn't be a solution for other tcadmin users without serverdoc.

Too messy :razz:

Let me talk with Luis. If Serverdoc does it, so will TCAdmin :smile:

After thinking about it, I have come up with another idea as well that would be a big benefit as well to CPU related issues.

I'm getting ready to convert about 400 game servers to tcadmin. I'd like to know if I need to look at putting serverdoc into my installs or if this might be a quick fix. I'd like to begin converting now but can wait until the end of the week if this is something that can have a solution by then.

Thanks!

Brandon

Archived