Server Processor and Upgradation

Soumya

Hello !

I will be hosting Cs 1.6 , CS:Z , CS:GO , CoD : 4

I have decided to go with Intel E series processor.

But I dont understand which E series processor should I go for !

What should be the minimum bandwidth required and what will be the suitable bandwidth for this purpose?

What all upgradation will I have to do from the BASE configuration of the server machine ? I mean like increasing the HDD , Storage space , Graphics etc

If you you are looking at e3 go for the E3 1270 V2 or a V3. Its not an uber machine but its solid and respectable for a gaming clan and with a good bit of ram you should have no issues with the games your looking at and should get plenty more than just the games your interested in.

Don't neglect the connection type and try for a 1Gbps connection if you can afford it, as in the end it will make or break an E3, I don' t recommend hosting others on it as a machine to profit, it will be a good machine for a multi game clan who wants flexibility of the games they place on the box, but not something I would personally try to monetize.

1. Game Servers do not render Graphics on Cards it is client rendered so don't be fooled with a graphics card on a server it is not relevant, HDD try to stick with SSD if you can but Sata II is still acceptable, ram is good and always a factor depending on the games you play and think ahead with this one. An E3 1270 has plenty of core power for the games you mention but it all depends on how many players and how many games you want to host and the main thing to invest would be its connection depending on how many players you want on the box.

All of the games you mention at max players would be fine on the E3.

Just my own opinion

Good luck

Actually, source games don't require -that- much cpu power as an E3-1270. Sure they can run it easy, but even older quadcores can run source just fine.

Just be careful as the newer sourcegames (tf2,csgo,insurgency) all seem to hog RAM like crazy, one server can average on 700mb.

And as the fella above me said, HDD's are generally just fine. However if you plan to eventually use it for other games, why not right?; Then the above is definitely good advice. Not sure if the 1Gbps is all that needed though.

• 2 weeks later...

the pipe connection should be 95th percentile at the lease most server providers give free game bandwidth anyway the details you need to look into is how many providers do they have (this reduces ping to clients) and another good exercise is to have a linux os for source games as the os uses less base resources and gives you more bang for you buck.

One downfall is linux is not something you can learn in one night and if your a windows buff and know little about linux you will in the short term, at least you will benifit from windows but be mindful that that usualy comes at an additional premium!

Archived