Lag Problems

DanCF

On our Chicago server, we are having some wierd lag problems. You'll be running along, then all of a sudden you're where you were a second ago. Thats not the wierd part. The part that seems odd is that there seems to be no reason to why the server is doing that.

Its a dual xeon dual core 3.0Ghz, running 35-45% Cpu load, with the load spread evenly across the 4 cores. Only about 700MB out of the 2GB ram is being utilized. Only 2mps out of the 100mps port is being utilized as well. There are 14 game servers on the machine, which is on the high side, but it is a 4-core machine and if it couldn't handle the load we would be seeing it in the stats I mentioned above. Its also a 10k raptor drive so that would not explain the problem either.

Any ideas on where to look on this?

I take that second statement back. The problem is on all the servers, i just didnt see it the first time i went on other gametypes.

One source server has mani, another the gun game mod. A dod server has some metamod plugins, but thats it for mods on the machine because the rest are halo.

We did have an extra GB of ram put into the machine this morning, so we are having them check to see if the stick was defective. I dunno if this could be the problem.

The system + memory scan came back and everything seems to be okay hardware wise.

Something I noticed this morning though which I had overlooked before is the consistency of the spikes in which you find yourself back where you were a split second ago (the jerking movement backwards). It occurs at the same exact interval each time. Every 4-5 seconds.

Yea they said there is nothing wrong with the ram, but I might just offer them to pay a service fee to swap the current ram out for two new sticks.

Could is possibly be a mod on a server which is trying to write to a file or database every 5 seconds? This came to mind, but i dunno if it would be enough to mess up the entire machine.

Things are just getting wierder on this machine. About an hour ago a server stopped responding (the dod server), and it won't go back up. I even started it manually with the command line, and the console printout looked fine, but the server was still unresponsive. Does anyone have any idea whats going on with this either?

Well if I start an instance from the GameFiles, I get a console output like the userfiles instance that looks fine. Its when I look at game-monitor.com that the server is down. The problem with this is that those status's are delayed. Is there a better place to see if a server is up that is more realtime?

Yea I'll try to grab that. I am actually on the road right now, so dialup is taking a while to get everything done.

At this point between the unexplained lag and the servers spontaneously going offline, I have decided to abandon server. I am getting a new server with the same specs set up, and am going to move the servers over using TCadmin once its done.

Archived