What is your infrastructure setup?

Todesengel

Hello,

I am just trying to get an idea of what type of infrastructure most people are using with tcadmin.

I assume most people are using a master server, along with a SQL server of sorts. Is anybody using tcadmin with a load balancer? Are you running games or voice servers on your master server?

And as far as remote servers go. What is the most common setup? Individual servers for specific games and applications? Or multi-use servers, running a combination of games? From a license standpoint, it would make sense to use a multi-use server. Do you run CS:GO and TFC on the same machines?

But from a performance and optimization standpoint I think it would be beneficial to have each service/application on their own machines specific to those services.

1 server for ventrilo

1 server for minecraft

vs

1 server with ventrilo and minecraft

Edited by Todesengel

I've never noticed an issue mixing voice servers in with game servers as they don't tend to use much resources at all.

I do believe that Valve Source Engine games should have their own servers however, as they are very reliant on stable tickrates.

We tried out having Minecraft on the same nodes but reversed that and got it on their own node for performance reasons.

Just be aware of bandwidth usage. Voice servers use little system resources but can use quite a bit of BW. Keep that in mind if you have BW limits per server from your provider.

Also, I find it better to keep them separate due to unforeseen issues such as HDD going bad or a server needing a reboot. If you have both games and voice servers on 1 server they all go down in either case mentioned above.

And above all else... MAKE DAILY BACKUPS!!!! <----- Can't stress this enough. We have seen so many people lose their business due to failure to keep up to date backups.

Just my $.02

If you are also going to put voice on same box. Give it a different IP. In case of DDoS etc. I do still believe best practice is to have a separate machine for voice. Doesn't need to be a strong machine at all. Just as ECF said, bandwidth!

We only use our Master server for TeamSpeak services and for testing new game servers. We have servers where Steam games and Minecraft are mixed, and then we have servers just for ARK since it's soooo ressource heavy. The best solution is indeed to have servers just for Minecraft, servers for Source games, servers for this and servers for that, but it's not wise thinking economically. Instead of having 1 full server, you'd maybe have multiple half full servers.

Just be aware of bandwidth usage. Voice servers use little system resources but can use quite a bit of BW. Keep that in mind if you have BW limits per server from your provider.

Also, I find it better to keep them separate due to unforeseen issues such as HDD going bad or a server needing a reboot. If you have both games and voice servers on 1 server they all go down in either case mentioned above.

And above all else... MAKE DAILY BACKUPS!!!! <----- Can't stress this enough. We have seen so many people lose their business due to failure to keep up to date backups.

Just my $.02

I would also not suggest running anymore than around 2000 active slots per TS3 node. We've noticed some strange issues if you push it much further.