Game Servers lagging

tcngs

Ok let me ask a question,

I am running on one of my servers dual Xeon 2.8gb with 800mhz fsb, 2mb cache and 2gb of DDR2 ECC ram

On this server it has about 280 slots of rtcwet game servers running. the server its self is only running at 30 to 40% but when admins connect to the server via Remote Desktop, it will lagg out the game servers when you first connect then if you do anything it will lag out the servers for a second as it opens.

When you go to task manager and look at the PF Usage it is running at 3.37gb, this server is also runing a ATA hard drive.

My question is would a SATA drive or adding 2 more gb of ram help it run better.

Also does any one know of a remote management program that will monitor the CPU usage from a remote pc. Thank you

We have found the same problem with a large ammount ventrilo servers running on a Intel Core 2 Duo (4mb cache one) with 2GB RAM and another server with the same spec but have a few large game servers using up the page file thats doing the same. Both servers have large page file usage so I can only guess as well thats its down to the page file.

I am also asking, would more RAM sort this situation out?

-Chris

• 3 weeks later...
We have found the same problem with a large ammount ventrilo servers running on a Intel Core 2 Duo (4mb cache one) with 2GB RAM and another server with the same spec but have a few large game servers using up the page file thats doing the same. Both servers have large page file usage so I can only guess as well thats its down to the page file.

I am also asking, would more RAM sort this situation out?

-Chris

I presume that's a Windows box?

Yes,

We have found that it was the page file. Alot of game servers force crap into pagefile not ram (not windows doing it). Basically a simple solution to the problem was running the page file on another hard drive. While yes we are adding more RAM, we found that windows would peak on the writing to the page file and for some reason the RDP disconnects, server box crashes was because of the 3GB page file being eaten up fully. Run the Windows system monitor and watch the hard drive usage/page file usage when the problem happens and youll see its the sodding page file pushing a stupid ammount of data in and out.

I guess its brillaint having a powerful CPU to run the game servers on but we hit limits with something simple like a page file to be the bottle neck. Hopefully with these few simple changes we can remove that factor and keep all our customers happy.

-Chris

Archived