2 servers in a 1U chassis

HIS-MOTHER

Not a good idea. What happens if a power supply goes? You lose 2 servers, not just one!

Also what happens if the RAM, CPU or drive goes bad on one of them? You still need to unplug the whole box to access and replace the bad hardware. Again leaving you 2 servers down...

I never said it was perfect, they still have some work to do on them. My guess is you can kill power to one board at a time somehow. I seriously doubt supermicro would release a product without thinking about that.

Other than a P/S going and we all know they do. It looks like it might be a solution for some people.

defo has advantages.

The cost saving could outweigh the inconvenience of having 2 servers down if there's a power failure. And it never takes long to get parts swapped out if your on site.

We havn't had a psu fail in about a year and a half . Maybe we're lucky!

I got no Snow in Chicago... Temperture dropped a bit today but other than that it's clear, dry, and sunny :)..

Besides I'll wait till the prices go down on them before we buy one and play with it. I stil lgot 1/2 a rack that needs filling in Chicago anyway LOL

Archived