Game Files - monthly mirror?

I-WebSolutions

Hi All,

Were actively looking at venturing into game servers, we have run a successful hosting company for about 5 years now.

The thing is, as its a new venture etc, we really dont have the time to sort out all of the game files, and stay on top of them.

What i was wondering was, would anyone be able to offer these on a download mirror for instance? That we could retrieve any changes on a monthly basis or something? We would be happy to pay for this service, as it would obviously be cheaper than hiring someone to do it. Im also very sure that others would appreciate this sort of service, either on a "pay per download" or a monthly fee option.

If this is something you offer, or could offer then i would love to hear from you. This really is the only thing now holding us back :( but im sure we will come up with something if push comes to shove :)

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Adam

I-Web

You would need to pay for each game, as you would need to hold a license key for each one to be the legal owner of it.

So $20-50 for each game you want to host just to start. Then the files and patches could be housed for you on a server and charged etc..

So if you plan on hosting 10 different games, it would be $200-500 just to start, unless you had the games and sent the CDs out to a datacenter to be loaded on a server. Then $50 for any new games that come out.

Of course this would not include games that have their own freely availible dedicated server files such as the BF series or STEAM games.

We could do something like this for you, but it would be expensive, because we would also need to provision backup space so we could do nightly backups of all the game images offsite as well, in the event of a server crash. And of course the bandwidth would need to be factored in as well. Game installs, patches etc... can add up quickly on a busy system that you are provisioning game servers from, and patching servers from. Some games are now up to 6 gigs compressed per install.

Many thanks for your response :)

You would need to pay for each game, as you would need to hold a license key for each one to be the legal owner of it.

So $20-50 for each game you want to host just to start. Then the files and patches could be housed for you on a server and charged etc..

So if you plan on hosting 10 different games, it would be $200-500 just to start, unless you had the games and sent the CDs out to a datacenter to be loaded on a server. Then $50 for any new games that come out.

Of course this would not include games that have their own freely availible dedicated server files such as the BF series or STEAM games.

This we understand and appreciate (not every game offers a downloadable server).

The games purchasing wouldnt be a problem, its the whole installing it, keeping it upto date, keeping it in a highspeed transfer space, staying on top of mods available etc.

We could do something like this for you, but it would be expensive, because we would also need to provision backup space so we could do nightly backups of all the game images offsite as well, in the event of a server crash.

Sure if this was a service that was offered to TCAdmin clients, those costs could be "spread" - as is a hosting system etc?

And of course the bandwidth would need to be factored in as well. Game installs, patches etc... can add up quickly on a busy system that you are provisioning game servers from, and patching servers from. Some games are now up to 6 gigs compressed per install.

I wouldnt expect to "provision" each of my servers from the central store (if im following your meaning correctly of provisioning)

I would simply want to download updated servers as and when they were available etc. But obviously, if some games are 6 gigs.... only takes 10 servers of that size, and 10 clients and your talking 600 gigs. Not sure how this would factor in... not sure how many people would be eager to take up such a service....

Thinking about it, taking someone on and selling this sort of service may pay for them....

The problem I see with sharing across clients is this. You signup for said service. Download said files to your servers. Then charge x clients x amount to download files from you.

There really is no way to regulate where the files go after they leave repository so to speak.

It is allways a sticky proposition in cases like this. Not to say you are not a trustworthy company and/or individual. But there is no way to know that the files will not make their way out into the wild. If the files were yours, and you owned them, I would say you would be less likely to do so.

Also, each person that draws from the server files needs to own the games, which means $200-500 for each person that wnats the files hosted up front. You can't share that cost.

I always wondered how The Place in Dallas was legally able to provide the game files for installation with their control panel. Maybe since they own the servers and are leasing the dedicated servers to their customers..... I am sure they did everything correctly or they would have gotten some nice letters from the game publisher's lawyers.

But then I guess this would also apply to those with the TCA Enterprise Edition too. But I do not think TCA themselves are able to provide the game files to all TCA customers.

That indeed is a gray area Doug. Each game tends to word it different so I guess it would go back to interpretation of what the small print means. I believe some of the legal issues would stem from who actually has possession of the files, Would it be the datacenter or the end customer or the reseller?

If I purchase a game and install it on that server and then install it on another server, is that okay to do? Or would I have to buy another license per server?

As the guys said above. You would have to read the EULA on each game Title. I know for instance that Novalogic allows up to 4 instances of a host only mode server under one Key. so 5 servers you would need 2 keys. Also like ECF said

However, I don't think they will be coming after a small GSP anytime soon.

;)

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use