Dual-Core Xeon vs Quad-Core Xeon

andeelym

Hi folks,

Just wanna seek some opinions.

Which one will hold more game servers, 2 x Dual-Core Xeon with 2GB ram each or 1 x Quad-Core Xeon with 4GB ram? Assuming that all I am running are 20 slot steam servers.

Will quad-core be an overkill?

Thanks for your comments.

I have allways disliked the idea of having huge servers. Yes they hold a ton of games, but what happens when it fails?

You simply have more clients without a gameserver. Of course price is always a factor as well.

on either of those systems your going to run outta RAM or some other resource before you run out of Processor. Either system is a good choice. But like EFC said having these "monster" systems means your going to put more people on it, and if it does fail...well sit back and enjoy the flow of support tickets haha.

I have allways disliked the idea of having huge servers. Yes they hold a ton of games, but what happens when it fails?

You simply have more clients without a gameserver. Of course price is always a factor as well.

Depending on the primary games you host ECF is correct. I can stack a TON of Nova titles on one box and beleive me when 1 goes down my phone is a ringing.

on either of those systems your going to run outta RAM

How so? I have atleast 6GB in my boxes and they will hold up to 32GB. Power it down, stab in a few more stiks and BOOM, more servers. LOL Although Nova title use RAM not CPU time.

How so? I have atleast 6GB in my boxes and they will hold up to 32GB. Power it down, stab in a few more stiks and BOOM, more servers. LOL Although Nova title use RAM not CPU time.

Depends on which titles hes looking to run. AA for example can take 200-300mb RAM per instance...hence why alot of hosts are getting away from hosting it. It sjust not cost effective unless you are able to sell honor servers.

Depends on which titles hes looking to run. AA for example can take 200-300mb RAM per instance...hence why alot of hosts are getting away from hosting it. It sjust not cost effective unless you are able to sell honor servers.

Yep, and on linux with the co-op maps they run about 400-695mb per instance.

prime example

Address: 74.52.137.34:1716
Players online: 9/9
Hostname: U.S. Army Official Clan-Solutions Dallas TX 1 74.52.137.34
Map: Interdiction
CPU Use: 5%
Memory Use: 782.4MB

And

Address: 
Players online: 0/14
Hostname: [sW] Clan Server
Map: Urban Assault
CPU Use: 0%
Memory Use: 1393.9MB

Talk about mem leaks in AAO for linux :)

Same map in windows

Address: 70.1.1.1:1716
Players online: 3/14
Hostname: {SO} Recruiting all players
Map: Interdiction
CPU Use: 0%
Memory Use: 317MB

Archived