Server not performing

andeelym

Hi folks,

I am facing this problem ever since i migrated to windows and tcadmin. Disclaimer: I am not blaming windows or tcadmin. They are both great products. Well anyway, here's my prob:

Server specs:

Dual Xeon 2.4GHz/400MHz bus

2GB DDR ECC Ram

IDE HDD

Windows 2000

(yes, its all a bit old but...)

I used to be able to run steam servers smoothly and low ping on linux (Gentoo), but ever since migrating to windows, my clients are getting at least additional 5-10 to their latency. Running the srcdsfpsboost/browser+adobe.com/hires works (running mplayer2 never did any shit for me, duuno why) but it jacks up the CPU so much that I cannot host as much game servers as b4 (linux) and even if I run half the amount of servers, the CPU utilisation will shoot up and will cause high latency. Also, the servers runs fine when its <16 slots, once it reaches > 16 the latency also rises, even though the CPU util is reasonable.

My question is that is there anyway that I can properly run the steam servers? I did tweaks to the registry as well as windows by following some of the web resources. I also did reduce the number of default services running. All servers are running NOD32 for antivirus and all window patches are updated.

Can the experts here guide me or at least give me some tips on improving the server performance? Please help. My customers are all leaving.

Thanks in advance.

To be honest andeelym, Unless your overloading your box the performance shouldn't degrade like you mention. We have Dual Xeon machines still in operation on up to the newest Woodcrest's.

From a performance standpoint nobody can tell me they notice anything different and the Xeons still work just fine for games especially if your running HL based servers.. 6 months ago there were no complaints when everyone used this hardware and 2 years ago they all used lower spec servers so please tell me what has changed that these same "cutting edge" servers 1 yr. ago are now unable to properly run the same exact games?

I'd look at your server settings and/or configs for the answer before laying out more $$ for machines that might not provide any positive results.

Hmm... weird. I turned off HT in the BIOS, but the task manager still shows 4 CPU graphs.

Previously, i was running linux and it performed very well, i wanted to provide a better service to my clients by giving them tcadmin and switching to windows in the process and all these happened. The server never performed to its former glory.

Anyway, I just converted another machine of very similar specs to windows (HT off, shows only 2 CPU graphs). Will be getting tcadmin on it and try.

... We have Dual Xeon machines still in operation on up to the newest Woodcrest's.

Man, you are behind the curve... Clovertowns are out! Gogogogogo!;)

[On Topic]

I agree with Rich.. Try running one game and see if it is okay, then grow from there. Verify your configs, and lean out your OS. You shouldn't need to upgrade to host around what you did on linux.

[/On Topic]

windows 2000 doesn't support alot of things, checksum offloading etc.. also doesnt support sysenter/sysexit which add signifigant overhead to system calls..

atomic ops on windows 2000 are really expensive

Hi folks,

Please help me on this. I have disabled HT in the BIOS but it still shows 4 CPU in the windows task manager. And using utilities, it shows that HT is enabled. What gives?

Do I need to reinstall windows?

Try flashing your BIOS since HT is BIOS controlled and it looks like it is not taking the setting.

It sounds like you probably did a minimal install with linux and have more services running with windows. We have used both *nix and windows and never had any abnormal resource issues like you describe. The OS plays a part in what you can run but most of that is dictated by your hardware and subsystems.

Well, my linux installation was a very minimal custom compile of gentoo. And I am using windows 2000 and have disable a number of services as describe by some sources from the internet. Do you have a list of services to disable that you can share?

Archived