CPU affinity

JasonF

I installed the master and web server on a dual xeon 3 Ghz with HT. I am going to have the server provider disable HT but wanted to make sure it would not affect anything with TCAdmin. Also, I had TCAdmin set to cores 0/1 and wanted to know if it is possible to change the affinity, after HT is off, to just 0.

Thanks for your time.

Yes. Affinity can be changed in service setting for each gameserver.

For future reference, you cannot set affinity to more than one by checking multiple checkboxes.

Example: If you check CPU 0 and CPU 1, it does nto get bound to both CPUs. It actually would only bind to CPU 0 since it comes first. Also, you cannot do a bind to CPU 1 and CPU 3 etc.... It is either bound to one CPU or if you leave all the boxes unchecked then windows will bind it to all CPUs if the application is multithreaded.

Yes and take note that Call of Duty goes crazy when it has more than 1 processor to work with.

Can you explain further? We don't use less then dual cpu machines and never had any issue with COD.

Likewise I would recommend leaving affinity all unchecked.

Thanks!

For some reason everyone thinks that setting affinity helps things drastically.

The only time you should set affinity is for CPU hogs like BF2 and 2142. Putting these on their own core can help. As for the rest of the normal games like CS, CSS and COD it should not make a difference.

One thing I can say is that many people load 20 different game types on one box. This can cause issue in itself, since different games react differently with each other.

I appreciate the info but my question of CPU affinity was mainly directed at TCAdmin's CPU affinity. When you setup TCAdmin you specify which cores to tie it to. At setup I selected 0 and 1. After I disable HT it will then die to both real cores. Anyway to change this setting or is it permanent?

Quote from ECF.

Yes. Affinity can be changed in service setting for each gameserver.

For future reference, you cannot set affinity to more than one by checking multiple checkboxes.

Example: If you check CPU 0 and CPU 1, it does nto get bound to both CPUs. It actually would only bind to CPU 0 since it comes first. Also, you cannot do a bind to CPU 1 and CPU 3 etc.... It is either bound to one CPU or if you leave all the boxes unchecked then windows will bind it to all CPUs if the application is multithreaded.

You can only specify "1" core per game in the settings. Checking more than one of those boxes does nothing. You cannot bind a game in windows to more than one core, unless you leave them all unchecked and let windows balance them.

This is a windows limitation, not TCAdmin.

Maybe I am not using the right terminology but I am talking about the TCAdmin web server and database CPU affinity, NOT THE GAME SERVERS I know how to change and set game server cpu affinity but was wondering if I can change the affinity for TCAdmin's services.

The setup and/or configuration program for TCAdmin does not ask you to set CPU affinity, unless Luis changed something and didn't fill me in. I believe it does allow you to specify at what priority level the monitor will run at, eg. low, normal, high, realtime.

Is this what you are referring to?

Can you explain further? We don't use less then dual cpu machines and never had any issue with COD.

Likewise I would recommend leaving affinity all unchecked.

Thanks!

I honestly don't know why it does it. This mostly happens when running awe as you gets errors such as completely blank screen after map load. No guns /ammunition is very common. Clock not moving. Small things such as this have all happened when we had an instance of Call of Duty assigned to more than one core. Note I made a type in the previous post as I meant "core".

Regards,

Archived