TCAdmin Linux

tycom

The one issue is retained stability. Windows seems to poop after 30 days or so, then needs a reboot. We run scheduled disc tasks and other maintainence regularly. But still, I see a rise in the graphs...A simple reboot fixes. So now our machines are on a 30 day reboot cycle aswell.

I've heard others in this forum report the same thing. Unsure if its the exact relationship of games I run, but the linux machines we have never have issues.

It is a trade off. Linux is better at some things and Windows is better at others. It really boils down to demand and availability. Fewer games are offering Linux support, both client and server, and I totally understand. With more and more game developers concentrating on the console market, it does not make sense for them to spend time to develop both Linux and Windows server files. PC Gaming is slowly being pushed aside and somethings are being dumped in the process. I bet the trend to avoid Linux development will continue and potentially even get worse.

The one issue is retained stability. Windows seems to poop after 30 days or so, then needs a reboot. We run scheduled disc tasks and other maintainence regularly. But still, I see a rise in the graphs...A simple reboot fixes. So now our machines are on a 30 day reboot cycle aswell.

I've heard others in this forum report the same thing. Unsure if its the exact relationship of games I run, but the linux machines we have never have issues.

What are you guys scheduling there adam if you don't mind asking?

Yeah thats correct, we reboot monthly. Have had much smoother performance since we started this.

As far as other scheduled tasks, we run the obvious defragment, delete dump files and log files on a weekly basis, flush the dns's on some machines running specific services. Buncha your normal maint. crap.

Try to keep things nice and tidy.

windows starts to have memory fragmentation after 30 days of uptime. i don't think windows can really host anything for long periods of time without a bunch of issues.

netcraft reports that the 50 longest uptimes on servers (200+ days) don't run any microsoft OS's.

Agreed, Our game servers run windows and get rebooted once a month while our voice hosting machines run *nix and average 1 yr+ uptime.. The difference is when you reboot a game server you might disturb a few customers, Rebooting a voice server disturbs several hundred so linux works better in that scenario..

Archived