2 FTP server

w00der

With space running short on my master server HDD i thought id set up another FTP server for TCADMIN to work from for installs. I have noticed you can only assign one FTP server to a server though which creats a huge problem. This means basically you can only have on FTP server for all games. Have i got this right or have I made a major oversight?:confused:

Correct you can only assign one FTP per server. Why would you want anymore than 1 FTP site for each server? That would be kind of silly to have 2or more FTP servers that a server pulls from.

Now remember that this is per server. You can have as many FTP sites setup and have each server use a different one if you like.

I think he might be referring to the FileServers, not sure..

If you are, you should create a datacenter, then create a fileserver within that datacenter, you can also just use an external ftp program such as BulletProof or any other ftpd, then use that as your TCA Install Drop area...(again this can be configured in the FileServers area)

Correct you can only assign one FTP per server. Why would you want anymore than 1 FTP site for each server? That would be kind of silly to have 2or more FTP servers that a server pulls from.

Not at all if you are running short on HD space on one of your Dedis and you want to assign additional space onto another dedi box. I thought it would be a common requirement. Thats what my assumption of the facility of multiple FTPs was.

I have created another file server to do this i.e. I have 2 file servers which i assumed it would look at both for the setup files.

Am I overlooking something here?? or being stupid or clearly both :|:

There is no multiple FTP support. But I think you are confusing Fileservers with remotes that act as FTP servers.

You can setup and FTP site on a box that doesn't run tcadmin at all. Any FTP server will do. Load all your games on the FTP, then goto System Settings>FileServers and add it as a fileserver.

I think i have my terminology a bit screwy here then. What i was after was the files to be downloaded from 2 file servers and this can be achieved simply if i uncheck the check box "Download Game Files from FTP Server". Is that correct?

Thanks for clearing this up and sorry for the confusion caused by cross over in terminology.

No, there is only the option to download files from ONE box (file server or not), or to store the files locally.

But a fileserver does not need to be a remote, IE it does not need to have TcAdmin installed on it. It simply needs to be running an ftp program so your boxes can connect to it.

With the current prices on larger hard drives there really is no reason when building a file server for it not to have several terabytes worth of storage space which is more then sufficient, even with today’s several gigabyte games.

And you really don’t want to waste “remotes” running them as file servers for your other remotes, as any games you stick on the machine acting as a file server are likely to have performance problems whenever files are being grabbed.

No, there is only the option to download files from ONE box (file server or not), or to store the files locally.

Oh dear so i was right :(. I thought i had tried every option. Shame really as if and when you run out of space on an exisiting file server you have to look at finding larger disks, which is an upheavle and a major ball ache and now my 76gb SAS drives are no good for the intended purpose :(

But a fileserver does not need to be a remote, IE it does not need to have TcAdmin installed on it. It simply needs to be running an ftp program so your boxes can connect to it.

With the current prices on larger hard drives there really is no reason when building a file server for it not to have several terabytes worth of storage space which is more then sufficient, even with today’s several gigabyte games.

And you really don’t want to waste “remotes” running them as file servers for your other remotes,

With a copy of TCAdmin running at only £8 or $15.05 p/month and rack space and power prices climbing I would sooner be spending this than forking out for the addition space p/month plus all the extras just for an ftp server, I trust you see where im coming from.

as any games you stick on the machine acting as a file server are likely to have performance problems whenever files are being grabbed.

I use speed limits to control any network performance issues.

Thanks for answering my questions maybe you could add this feature to TCAdmin 2 :grin:

With a copy of TCAdmin running at only £8 or $15.05 p/month and rack space and power prices climbing I would sooner be spending this than forking out for the addition space p/month plus all the extras just for an ftp server, I trust you see where im coming from.

Surely you can spend $109.00 for 500GB space. $119.00 for the 16mb cache.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3206259&Sku=TSD-500AS4

If your renting a dedicated box I'm sure you could ship it to your host and have him slap it in. ;) They will usually do this for customers.

Hi Guy

Im glad someone else has some compassion around here :).The gift of knowledge would of been such a wonderfull thing for me. Ive now moved mine to a larger drive and my life is again wiser through another life experiance :)

Archived