File Servers Question

xpservers

In system settings -> file servers

I setup an external ftp server which i use for my hosting. I use this server for my customer redirect and web hosting. I tested the server and its ok

May be a dumb question but how do my customers access the file server thru their panel ? what do i enable and how do i give certain users permision to their own file server ?

what i want is the user logs in,, they have access to their files for their server. I also want them the ability to upload files tothe file server for redirect and fast download.

This is the fileserver for the game creation and TCAdmin use.

Your customers can reach there servers by ftp'n to the address there server is installed to, port 21, login with the login and pw for the TCA Control panel.

If you wanted specific people to access that direct fileserver, for whatever reason, you would need to add users and directory permissions in the whatever software you might be using for the ftpd.

are you refering to 3rd party software ?

when i go to system settings -> server details the master ftp server field is shaded. 2 questions.

If I want my game files stored on a remote machine to be grabbed and downloaded to the users home directory what do i need to set ?

Q2.

Is there a way to have the users file manager point to the built in ftp server whent he server is created and also a remote ftp server which is used to store redirect files ?

In the server settings uncheck the option that says "Is Master FTP Server" then save. Download Game Files from FTP Server option is now active.

Now goto System Settings>Fileservers and create a new one. Enter all your FTP info for your FTP server and save. Then go back to the Master Server settings and choose the fileserver from the pulldown list and save.

As for question 2. TCAdmin has built in FTP, by default they have filemanager and FTP access to their game directory. They login as mentioned above by Adam. As for redirects, you will need to set those up on your own.

Yes, thats what I was saying.

The FileServer tab in TCA is for the TCA Fileserver . This is where TCA Grabs any files for game setup, mod installations, or any other services you have configured within it.

The FTP server that is built into TCA is different. This server runs on each remote machine, and is bound to all ips on the machine. The easiest way to do it, is give the user their serverip as their FTP IP. The login would be the same as their login for the control panel.

To answer the first question;

If you are trying to connect the users to your 3rd party FTP Deamon, you could create an additional icon in the users home dir.

Admin Home > System Settings > Custom Links To configure this.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small hijack on this thread but keeping to the original problem I hope.

People who run re-directs, do you ensure they can only be using your web downloads by allowing only your IP's to be authorised to use that domain or some other way?

We run re-directs now free of charge but I want to develop a proper system for clients to upload their maps etc with minimal fuss

Any ideas?

What we've done on this, is to use a couple of tools called syncback and xxcopy. xxcopy trawls round the user folders every 30 mins or so looking for any new maps which the customers may have uploaded to their server and copies them to a holding area on the server. Syncback then uploads anything new it finds in the holding area to the redirect site. Both these tools are free.

I don't know any way to make sure that only your customers can access the redirect site and no one else as the redirect site needs full anonymous read only access.

Smart thinking. If you give access to all the files I bet you anything someone will attempt to take them. Better off setting a sub folder like HM said and allowing them to download just the sub folder. Its safer for you and them that way.

What we've done on this, is to use a couple of tools called syncback and xxcopy. xxcopy trawls round the user folders every 30 mins or so looking for any new maps which the customers may have uploaded to their server and copies them to a holding area on the server. Syncback then uploads anything new it finds in the holding area to the redirect site. Both these tools are free.

I don't know any way to make sure that only your customers can access the redirect site and no one else as the redirect site needs full anonymous read only access.

You can limit via IP's though. Which is a pain but a way

My only issue with that is people will be uploading maps that other people already have thus wasting a hell of alot of hdd space, 1 central location surely would be the answer?

Also creating accounts for every person new and old would also be a nightmare unless there is another way of doing it rather than manually

This one is hurting my head as I really am unsure of which way to go.

My only issue with that is people will be uploading maps that other people already have thus wasting a hell of alot of hdd space, 1 central location surely would be the answer?

Also creating accounts for every person new and old would also be a nightmare unless there is another way of doing it rather than manually

This one is hurting my head as I really am unsure of which way to go.

The only reason for the http redirect is for ppl that do not have the files, not for the ones that do.

I figure what goes around comes around. So what ftp software are you useing, I might tackle and post it, it would of course be ftp software specific. Although the change from one ftp software to another shouldn't be to much work as long as the ftp software handles command line.

Rich thanks a bunch for this idea, we have been looking for an automated synch mechanism for our customer redirects. Now they dont have to log into 2 seperate ftp accounts and sync the files themselves.

Doesent Syncback automaticaly detect files modifications tho ? if thats the case why use xxcpoy

As for sum other questions in this thread. We use a seperate hosting server in the states which we use to host our xpservers site. We ssh into the box and add an incoming ACL to allow only our IP blocks access to this redirect box. You can setup subdirectories per user and add a storage quota to that folder. We dont do quota's are our storage is massive, something like 5 gigs per user. From my experience no user has excceeded 2gigs

Archived