Crysis Server Requirements - Estimates?

Hi,

I'm trying to estimate how many 32-slot Crysis servers I could fit on the following configuration:

• Dual Processor Quad Core Xeon 5310 - 1.60GHz (Clovertown) - 2 x 8MB cache
  • 6GB ram
  • 4000GB bandwidth

I'm guessing about 8 servers (one per core basically), but I may be overestimating the requirements, or severely underestimating.

I know no one can give a definitive answer, but any estimates would be appreciated. :)

I'm not so much aware of the server end requirements, but I can tell you its most definately a beast of a game.

Running on the following, we only achieved a maximum of 30-40 FPS ClientSide.

Core2Quad Q6600 @ 4x 2.78(OverClocked)

eVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1

eVGA 8800GTS 640

8GB OCZ Gold (1067 MHz)

X-Fi XtremeMusic

Noname 750W PSU (42A 12V)

- - -

I'd love to know the serverside requirements aswell, I'll keep digging.

I highly doubt the game is going to be popular to be honest.

Are you serious? This game has a massive following, took years of development, made by Crytek (highly respected company), and provides people with the best game modding tools available.

But I wasn't asking about it's popularity.

I pre ordered it the same day as Call of Duty 4. So hopefully its as good as CoD4. Cant wait.

I expect it to be, over $26,000,000 went into it's development, and Crytek have been actively listening to the communities requests.

Peoples only complaints seem to be that they can't max it out, which is dumb, as Crytek have been saying you won't be able to max it out for quite some time.

Are you serious? This game has a massive following, took years of development, made by Crytek (highly respected company), and provides people with the best game modding tools available.

But I wasn't asking about it's popularity.

Only my opinion based on my experience. I'd be willing to go on the record as saying this game will be a more popular ETQW. Hyped, big following, dismal sales / continuation.

Don't get me wrong, I hope its huge... but I have some serious doubts as to its MP success.

Only my opinion based on my experience. I'd be willing to go on the record as saying this game will be a more popular ETQW. Hyped, big following, dismal sales / continuation.

Don't get me wrong, I hope its huge... but I have some serious doubts as to its MP success.

Really? Did you play the beta?

I actually really enjoyed the multiplayer part of it. It was very similar to Battlefield 2 in a lot of ways, but the map was much more interesting than anything I played in BF2.

The MP is not revolutionary, but playing in DX10 with breaking trees, full physics etc....it's going to be insane.

I found the single player was more fun than the multi-player. I think it will be a fun game but wonder how the ranked part will play out. With them shipping a level creator with the game, it makes me think that custom maps will be huge with this game and mods galore which are a no-no with ranked servers. Hopefully game distributors will start to learn that ranked does not equal success, you can look at quake wars for that.

I found the single player was more fun than the multi-player. I think it will be a fun game but wonder how the ranked part will play out. With them shipping a level creator with the game, it makes me think that custom maps will be huge with this game and mods galore which are a no-no with ranked servers. Hopefully game distributors will start to learn that ranked does not equal success, you can look at quake wars for that.

There is no persistent ranking system though. ;)

The game will be a cpu killer, we have a box for testing and on a dual core conroe 2.4 a 32 full server will use 30% using both cores, its a killer.

=bobby

Wait, so are you actually running a Crysis server now? (as I do remember people working out how to with the BETA)

....or is that your estimate?

The game was a bigger hit on the other side of the pond than here in the states. We like big V-8's and 32 man servers..:)

I would tend to agree with you there Gary, however I'd limit it to 'Multiplayer Online' , as we have had great sucess thus far at the lan center, which would still constitute multiplayer :) haha

Presold quite a bit of hours for this :)

Maybe they should think of jacking up the requirements for games such as these instead of lowballing them...Makes the overall experiance better imo.

It will not be popular on multiplayer. It's a single player game, to show off graphics and physics. I think it's ranked #1 in physics/graphics.

Games that look great usually have terrible multiplayer support.

I'd have to agree with that statement as well, Farcry and MOH PA come to mind as games that had awesome graphics but on the MP side they were terrible to host..

I played the MP beta and was unimpressed with it myself. However the singleplayer demo was nice.

Thing is, the BETA was limited in terms of gameplay elements.

The DX9 multiplayer on Shore isn't that exciting, but the prospect of using aircraft on large scale maps with all the destruction (trees, buildings etc)...it gets me excited. :D

Archived