linux

chris666uk1

Personally, I think linux is overrated and overcomplicated. I used to run linux servers a few years ago. Yes it was reliable, but unless you're a total guru and a geek, you really don't know what's going on under the covers. Windows is nice and stable nowadays, and a lot easier to manage. Apart from the fact that linux is free, I don't see any good reason to use it for game servers. Also, you often find that game updates are released faster for Windows, so there are many advantages.

I think if you are going to say that TCAdmin is not available or supported on linux, then you need to close the beta programme and stop it's use out in the field.

I stumbled across a providers forum the other day, who proudly announced to his customers that he was going to change the version of linux on all his servers, so that everyone could have TCAdmin. Presumably, this is someone who managed to get on your beta programme a while back, still has the software, is buying remote licenses and actively running the linux beta in a production environment.

While this is going on, you are always going to get questions about linux.

If you're not going to move forward with linux, then I think you should kill it now and close the beta, and tell people who have it that they must migrate to Windows as it will no longer work after a certain date. :)

The beta is closed. However the people who tested it (what over a year ago now) before it was EOL'ed..what would you like them to do with them? Just cancel the licenses? Put people out of business? If those people have tcadmin working for them on thier linux systems I say let them....granted there is no support for it and its not offered but you cant simply cross those off the list.

We find that most linux questions come from people that have found others are actually running a linux version.

We are very firm in saying over and over that linux is no longer support nor distributed, however as swish stated above we cannot simply cancel the accounts of the people that ran and continue to run the linux beta product from last year. That simply would not be right.

Fair comment.

I was not suggesting cancelling their accounts or crossing them of the list as such, simply that they should be encouraged to upgrade to a Windows environment. By issuing a deadline for a migration you would probably get many of them to switch over, as undoubtedly they are hooked on the product by now :)

Also they will be missing out on V2 for sure, and there is bound to come a point when the linux version won't work surely, as you are not developing it anymore. Once they start patching their linux systems with updates and so on, one of them is bound to break TC at some point!

Archived