CSS FPS rates drop after 12 players

Creed3020

We are currently running a 20 Slot CSS 100 Tic 500 FPS server and we are filling the server up alot lately.

The problem is as soon as there are more than 12 players the FPS take a dump on us?

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

I can provide configs and answer questions as needed if you desire to help.

Thanks!

I would like to think we have more than enough power, also this server is the only game server running on the core it is tied too.

Intel Quad Core Xeon 3220 'Kentsfield' (2.4GHz) 2x4MB Cache

4096MB DDR RAM - Dual Channel

250GB SATA II

My other admisn may believe that they have found problem to be an ingame bank system, possibly something to do wtih a database that the feature uses. Still not sure though.

I really just wanted to throw the problem out there and see if anyone else has seen this happen.

that might be true monk but we run css with many others with no issues on intel's. you get into trouble with 1000fps but 500fps is fine.

only thing i can think of creed3020 is some config file issue...or tcadmin game file problem (prob not though).

what do you mean by the fps takes a dump? how are you checking fps?

the main rates that affect playability for css are fps_max, sv_maxupdaterate and sv_maxrate.

FPS drops are because of either context switching or overtaxing CPU, or heavy bus traffic, cache coherency, the OS, syscall latency, interrupt latency, antivirus programs, something stealing CPU timeslices, or about 200 other things.

FPS drops are because of either context switching or overtaxing CPU, or heavy bus traffic, cache coherency, the OS, syscall latency, interrupt latency, antivirus programs, something stealing CPU timeslices, or about 200 other things.

In other words...

Don't offer 1000 FPS Servers. ;)

Well, HIS-MOTHER...Creed3020 said nothing about 1000fps but my comment was 500fps is fine and as tested 1000fps is not regarding interrupt issues.

Monk you are 100% correct in your statements...but i believe almost none of that applies in this case. Yes context switching etc is all important to note...but if he is only running one server on one core these specs show something else is going on. Unless he is running other things on the server during testing. i definately recommend turning other applications/processes off.

He has stated he is running one game server on a single core on a Quad Core Xeon 3220 'Kentsfield' (2.4GHz) 2x4MB Cache with 4096MB DDR RAM - Dual Channel and a 250GB SATA II drive. the settings are important because if he is running 500fps 100tick server on that kind of box I believe 20 slots is fine. I run that kind of game server with no fps issues on a similar quad core. regardless Creed3020 says 12+ players and he has problems so his server should run flawlessly.

hit us up with your server settings Creed3020 if you still need additional help. like for example if you want to run fps at 500 you need to set fps_max to 600 not 500.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

We may have resolved this issue as there may have been an extra script running along with metamod that was causing this. We have dis-abled this script temporarily to see if it is the reason behind this. I should know more shortly.

The FPS dump I was refering to is that the server would run beautifully above 500 FPS but when the 13th player joined the FPS would drop and hang around 20 or less. I am checking FPS by using the 'stats' command in the console or through rcon.

The CPU usage for this server is less than 15% of the core that this game server is tied too.

We aren't trying to offer 1000FPS servers. 500 FPS is plenty and we have no problems hitting that mark.

Here are most of our server.cfg settings:

log 1
log_console 1
log_events 1
log_udp 1
sv_logfile 1
mp_allowspectators 1
mp_autokick 0
mp_autoteambalance 1
mp_fadetoblack 0
mp_falldamage 1
mp_flashlight 1
mp_footsteps 1
mp_friendlyfire 0
mp_logfile 1
mp_solidplayers 1
mp_tkpunish 1
sv_alltalk 1
sv_cheats 0
sv_customizations 1
sv_hltv 0
sv_pausable 0
sv_unlag 1
sv_voiceenable 1
mp_disable_autokick 1
sv_consistency 1
mp_dynamicpricing 0
sv_pure_kick_clients 1
sv_pure_trace 1
mp_buytime 1
mp_c4timer 30
mp_chattime 8
mp_decals 200
mp_forcecamera 0
mp_freezetime 6
mp_hostagepenalty 0
mp_limitteams 0
mp_maxrounds 35
mp_playerid 0
mp_roundtime 3
mp_spawnprotectiontime 5
mp_startmoney 16,000
mp_timelimit 30
mp_winlimit 50
sv_bounce 0
sv_friction 4
sv_gravity 800
sv_airaccelerate 10
sv_maxrate 30000
sv_maxspeed 320
sv_maxunlag 1
sv_maxupdaterate 101
sv_maxvelocity 3500
sv_minrate 10000
sv_minupdaterate 30
sv_pushaway_force 30000
sv_pushaway_max_force 1611
sv_pushaway_min_player_speed 75
phys_pushscale 1
sv_region -1
fps_max 550
bot_join_delay 0
sv_mincmdrate 30
sv_maxcmdrate 101
sv_client_predict 1
sv_client_interpolate 1
sv_client_interp 0.01
sv_client_cmdrate_difference 30

Thanks for the insight everyone! :)

ha, yup. the one major check we do if a server is mis-behaving is to rename the addons directory name on the server. a very quick temp way to disable any and all logins for certain. If the server behaves then we know its an add-on somewhere.

we have noticed if you run stats in console on the server it can affect the game sometimes so we know always run this through hlsw.

fps_max 550 should work but i've read and even thought it was mentioned that valve has said to run fps_max at 600 to get the full 500fps.

Glad you found it...that kind of thing always bothers me until i figure it out. GL

Archived