Which Firewall

Redeye

We are running all servers with the windows firewall. It works but, I'm wondering, which alernatives are used with the other gamehosters? I know, most don't want to talk about this section because of security policies, but still hoping some want to share.

Windows firewall is the best solution for a software firewall. Installing another software firewall on your box would simply draw more resources.

The hardware firewall is the best way to go as I stated above, but is a lot of work to keep up with.

Remember that FTP use either active or passive (pasv) connections. If your FTP is set top use active connections it will connect to the FTP server but the FTp will open another random port somewhere in the 65000 range to allow data transfers.

You may want to change your FTP settings to pasv, which only requires port 21 to be open.

Archived