What do you run for your master server?

Derek

Are you guys hosting game servers or something on your master server that you are finding you need dual processors and/or 8GB?

If not, then I can't imagine why you would be using such monster boxes, talk about complete overkill.

I was wondering the same thing is it just the master server and use remote servers as your hosting for game server or are you actually running servers of the master server

would be nice to know

@ EndlessGaming how many you fitting on that box ? if you are running servers of that box

Intel Q6600 2.4

4GB Memory

2X 250GB HD

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise

Are you guys hosting game servers or something on your master server that you are finding you need dual processors and/or 8GB?

If not, then I can't imagine why you would be using such monster boxes, talk about complete overkill.

Yes, some of us can't afford to have a box just for the Master without putting GS on it... Thats the reason for 8GB ram for us. We have about 220 Slots on it.

Of course when we can afford it, the master will move to its own box, and that one will become a remote.

• 1 month later...

I Would keep things seperate like that, but that my own personal preference

Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790) Service Pack 2

Intel® Xeon® CPU X5365 @ 3.00GHz (8 CPUs)

8190MB RAM

1x 140GB HDD

1x 1TB HDD

Yea, I came to the conlusion it would be best to keep them seperated. Although some of you guys running Dual CPU's and 8 Core Boxes is overkill.

I think most use their master for other things which is fine if your server specs are in line, The problem arises when you run a low spec master and want to host games/websites/ftp/ etc, etc..

Both our master servers run only tcadmin with a constant load ranging between 50-60%. Transfer usually exceeds 1.5TBs per month on each. This month with the new games out we project around 2TB.. :(

One server is a Core2Quad 4gb Ram. The other is a Dual Clovertown 4GB Ram.

master1.jpg

I think most use their master for other things which is fine if your server specs are in line, The problem arises when you run a low spec master and want to host games/websites/ftp/ etc, etc..

Both our master servers run only tcadmin with a constant load ranging between 50-60%. Transfer usually exceeds 1.5TBs per month on each. This month with the new games out we project around 2TB.. :(

One server is a Core2Quad 4gb Ram. The other is a Dual Clovertown 4GB Ram.

Fair Enough, I think I will be going with a E8400 , 4GB , 2x 250GB HDD.

Also what kind of drive setup's you run Rich ?

Archived