Whats the best wat to go about a master server upgrade.

studeggle

OK I finallly bit the bullet and bought my new servers :roll:

That means sometime around the start of November I am going to be installing everything on them. But from my experience with TCadmin (good experience :cool:) I am reworking the file structure on servers so its not just a quick OS install and copy the files over :sad: but a week or so of playing with them at home before putting them online to make sure the structure is all set. So I need a second master server liscence from what I understand.

How should I do that?

I want to get the full year one now, so if I do that like two weeks before my month to month expires will I be good for 2 master servers for that overlap time?

Do I need to do anything special to shut off the month to month liscene?

The best way to move a master server is to use the tcadminbackuptool which will make a complete backup of everything on that master server, including the database.

Then you can install your new master and run the restore process to bring the mnaster back to it's orginal form. The restore process even allows for changes in IP addresses.

I would suggest putting in a support ticket, and LFA can walk you through it.

With the completion of our new automated order system, we can have you simply order the purchased license when you are ready to do so.

Along the same lines, I am wondering about a switchout on our master server...

Currently, I have:

Computer A: Master Server (With Game Servers On it, and it is our "content" server).

Computer B: Webserver/Database (its not even in our cabinet).

I want to move the master to computer B, but keep using the files on master A (since its in our cabinet, and wouldn't cost us 95th percentile when installing games).

Is this possible? How much of a headache, and how much downtime am I looking at? I know I'd have to get another remote license, which I am fine with. It just is driving me crazy watching the CPU jump everytime the server monitor scripts run (I set them up before I started filling the server up, so it wasn't a problem then).

Easiest thing is to make your web and database server also a remote and run the scripts from there. That will take the load off your master and you get no downtime. This is not a standard installation but it's simple to do and we can help you set it up.

Another possible way to do it without taking down the game servers is install as master in your current web server, then configure your old master as a remote. The problem with this is that the control panel will now look for the game servers on the new master but they are really in the new remote. What you do is modify the database. in the table TC_SERVICES it has SERVER_ID = 'MasterServer' change it to SERVER_ID = 'TCXXXXXXXX' your new remote's id.

Wouldn't it be better to move the master to where the database is (mysql)? Right now, they are in diff datacenters... I have had a few times when I had to restart the master to get a good mysql connection because of stupid stuff I have done (like yanked the network plug while rewiring our cabinet, etc).

I am just trying to keep everything as stable as possible, and I have no fear of doing updates in sql to update the services...

What about the other remotes though? Will they freak out on trying to connect to the new IP or anything?

If you are worried about that then the second option would be best. After moving the master you will have to generate the configuration files for the remotes to reconfigure them so they know they have a new master ip and accept connections from that ip.

We have the prettiest cabinet at The Planet...

Our network cables are all braided, the power cables are braided...

My co-workers are anal that way:(

They even made me make my xbox look good:

hogie.gif

What are you suppose to do with xbox controllers and stuff that have nothing to plug into or do? Bleh, oh well, atleast there's enough room on our dev server to act as a shelf for my laptop:)

I can see a speedup on our webserver now to about half the time it use to require to pull up server lists and such... I kinda wish I would have put it on the same box in the first place. Oh well, Trying to out think myself has proven to be a bad idea!

Thanks for your help today LFA on that move. Now to try to get some other stuff of ours fixed.

Archived