Licences for game servers

Guest Unregistered

Guest Unregistered

Hello,

it may be a dumb question, but I want to be sure on the legal aspects of this: do I need special game licenses to run a server of those games / do I need a legal "user" CD / anything else? I am particulary interested in CoD2 servers, running commercially, but also others.

Thanks for your help!

Guest Unregistered

And one more thing: can I host multiple instances of servers with one legal copy? Or do I need multiple legal copies of games, one copy for one game server?

Sorry for reposting :-)

Thanks!

Most EA games require licenses to run them as a server instance, these are providers specifically chosen by EA.

As for COD2, it's perfectly fine as long as you own the game as well as COD5. You can host as many instances of the game as you wish with one copy of the original game.

Most EA games require licenses to run them as a server instance, these are providers specifically chosen by EA.

I'm pretty sure the unranked ones grant you an automatic licence. I thought it was only for their ranked system that you needed a licence?

I'm pretty sure the unranked ones grant you an automatic licence. I thought it was only for their ranked system that you needed a licence?

Yep, I believe that is correct as well. I have ran unranked in the past legally, just need to be licensed to host ranked, which can be a very difficult thing to do.

Like one ranked server provider told me, EA would rather deal with 10 professional GSP companies instead of 100 kiddie GSPs.

Thats correct, although if you have ever read the ranked mailers and forums the so called professionals have access to you would think they are kids! LOL

Archived