[Absurde customers] Limit cpu usage or something like that

Kian

Hello

I've no problem running services on my quad core servers with 8 GB RAM. Average CPU usage is always under 40% but in these last weeks users are changing cfg with absurde variabiles values.

For example there is a value you can change in Swat4 server cfg that let you increase Net tick rate. Default value is 20. With this value you can play with no problems. Ping is under 100 (standard player). This net tick rate was used for 4 years since Swat4 was released. Now there are some "genius" that discovered this string and they are changing this value from 20 (ping 90) to 40 (ping 40) , 60 (ping 40), 100 (ping 40), 200 (ping still 40) ... and 99999999999999!!! Ping is always 40 but they don't understand :eek:

They think that you can have ping 0 or something like that with infinite net tick rate value. They ignore that this value increase CPU usage.

Yesterday CPU usage in a server was 90-95% with a 3Ghz quad core. I was trying to understand what was going on then i restarted all Swat4 gameservers and voilà! One Swat4 gameserver was using 25% CPU, another one 20% :~ I told to customers that they can't use net tick rate higher than 60 and that they can't have 10-15 ping! It's impossible! I fixed all net rate value. The day after they changed it again to 100~999999999 and CPU usage was still 90%. This story is going on from weeks. They don't understand or don't want to understand. They reply me that ping value 40 is too high for them :confused: This is the general idea of all Swat4 gameservers admins. I can't run 4 (F O U R) gameservers on every 3 Ghz quad core CPU

Can you please tell me if there is a way to LOCK / DISABLE / IGNORE net tick rate string in server cfg? This situation is not good. Thank you for your time.

Go to Supported Games open the swat4 config. Add the value to the custom port 1 then go to the area of the file and add the custom port 1 there. That way if they change it TCAdmin will place the default you select.

That does not keep the user from changing the value, nor will tcadmin check it regularly it only checks upon set-up. FYI if it is considered a custom port by TCA then it will only allow that value once per IP as it will see it as a conflicting port. in use already. ;)

My directions above are clear and are the only way.

The Only way for you to do that is Disable ftp and file manager. Then make a custom template config editor for the lines you want to allow them to edit and remove the text editor.

Can't do that

Go to Supported Games open the swat4 config. Add the value to the custom port 1 then go to the area of the file and add the custom port 1 there. That way if they change it TCAdmin will place the default you select.

Can't work

Suspend service seem to be the only way to stop it. Is possible to auto-suspend service for too high CPU usage? Like brand text removed / you exceeded max slot number :rolleyes:

As TCA can already collect CPU stats, it's certainly feasable to do this, but it's not coded in right now. I would suggest contacting the user and warning that any changes will result in service suspension/termination without refund. Add a comment above the value in the server cfg to reiterate this point.

Can't do that

You can. Just disable it on a per game cfg or by user/service settings if it is only a few users doing it. Tell them to bad since they can't follow instructions they have lost the ability to upload or manually edit there .ini files and set what they can and can not edit.

Archived