NR2K3 Again

SickPuppy

Well guys I have discussed this in past threads. There are GSP owners out there that know how to control the CPU load on NR2K3 servers but are unwilling to share that information. I also stated that if I ever solved the issue I would share it with others.

I am sorry to say that to this date I have been unable to solve this issue. So, if I can’t solve the issue I will do the next best thing, buy a company that has.

I have started talks with a GSP that has solved this issue and currently rents NR2K3 servers. If and when I complete this buyout I will do 2 things, first I will post the solution here for everyone as I have promised to do, second I will rent NR2K3 servers for $.25 a slot.

As always, I look forward to reading some witty remarks form the forum flamers.

And...in turn for Sickpuppies trane of thought...and for staying away from first person shooters into our own area...we will deploy the new 200 plus quad cores we have ...and give away FPS to all that want them...nice to see that there are areas that we have failed to venture in...that we can screw up completley for every-one else...

My holiday in Mexico...was great btw...and spent some time with some very Interseting business people..and have given me some great ideas...let the games begin...Oh and Ed..btw...if you really want the fix that bad...thats the way we got it to...bought out a competitor...maybe if you sell that second fishing boat...we can talk...you know where to find us

Oh and Ed..btw...if you really want the fix that bad...thats the way we got it to...bought out a competitor...maybe if you sell that second fishing boat...we can talk...you know where to find us

Just purchased a new Grady White Express 330, taking it to the Keys next month. Having all the electronics put in now. We are putting in at Marathon and cursing all then way down to Key West. I still have my 32' center console and my 18' Skiff if you are looking for a boat.

Folks this type of post seems to be becoming more common in our forums as of late. Please all take a minute to review the rules we have here and start adhering to them.

We DO NOT flame others! This is the cardinal rule that is being broken constantly now. So let's keep it clean or I will have to start banning the repeat offenders from the forums.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Running the test server using a batch file to start NR2K3 it uses 0% of the CPU and about 3,500 K of RAM empty. Starting a server using the server.exe it uses 5% of the CPU and 59,500K of RAM empty. We will test this under a full load of AI and live drivers and if it works we will post the batch file for everyone to download.

Ok this is what you need to do to reduce the CPU load in NR2K3.

Create a server.bat file. Put these two lines in the .bat file

start /min server.exe

pause

Place the server.bat in the NR2K3 home dir. Set TCAdmin to start the server using the server.bat and not the server.exe.

At this point we have not completed a full server load test. If this works for you please post your CPU loads results.

I hope you have uploading of .bat files disabled because this will allow someone to upload a virus then upload a server.bat file executing the virus.

Who said anything about letting the customer upload .bat files this is the CPU load fix for GSPs you don't have to allow .bat uploads this runs on the server side.

Also you can set the file Attributes to read only and that will stop any modification of the file.

All I was saying is be careful with using .bat files. If you don't have your TCAdmin configured properly, this can turn into a nightmare. I would recommend putting the .bat file outside of the file manager / ftp to prevent the user from having access to it. Example

File setup:

GameInstalls\NRK3\server.bat\RestofFilesHere

TCAdmin config for game:

Relative Exec: /server.bat

Relative Working Directory: /

Relative User Files Directory: /RestofFilesHere/

Force Path for FTP/FileMan: /RestofFilesHere/

This way the user never sees or is able to modify the server.bat file.

All I was saying is be careful with using .bat files. If you don't have your TCAdmin configured properly, this can turn into a nightmare. I would recommend putting the .bat file outside of the file manager / ftp to prevent the user from having access to it. Example

File setup:

GameInstalls\NRK3\server.bat\RestofFilesHere

TCAdmin config for game:

Relative Exec: /server.bat

Relative Working Directory: /

Relative User Files Directory: /RestofFilesHere/

Force Path for FTP/FileMan: /RestofFilesHere/

This way the user never sees or is able to modify the server.bat file.

I understand what you mean, if the .bat file in the file manager someone could modify it and do some nasty things. But we do not allow .bat files to be uploaded and they are set to read only so they can't be tampered with.

Good point though I never thought of setting it outside the file manager so it could not be accessed.

You may know better, but if someone is reading this tutorial on how to fix the cpu issue and uses the server.bat file with insecure file permissions they may get burned.

Keep us posted on your testing and thanks for sharing.

Just trying to give a little back to the community. Almost everyone here has helped us in the past with our issues, it just wouldn't be right not returning the favor.

We do need some feedback on CPU load so test it out and see if it works.

I think you are going to find some issues with this approach. Initially what you are doing (minimizing the app) will lower the CPU. However once a player joins the race the CPU will once again rise. Which of course is fine if the server is active and racing. However once all the player disconnect I think you will find that the CPU and RAM will not return to the low state, rather it will stay as is.

I am curious to see if this is the case.

Archived