Understanding the web to server interface

Guest Unregistered

Guest Unregistered

I am having some problems understanding what exactly i need to set up on what to get what I am looking for, maybe it's because i've been researching and working all day, that my brain could be fried. Anyway, I just got the trial key, downloaded the software I needed, threw it on the dedicated windows box, got to the end, then got stuck at SQL db. Now, my webserver doesnt allow shell or root access since it is shared (yes, it's linux), but I can make unlimited sql db's all day. Does this mean I need to get hosting through tcadmin? If so, this means I'd need to get a master license, since i have only one box, and a webserver? If so, let's say I want to blend this in with my webserver in some way, can i set it up to redirect the requests for tcadmin to my webserver via subdomain? Thanks.

You can house your DB on a linux based server but the TCAdmin website needs to be hosted on a windows dedicated server.

You do not have to get hosting through us, you can simply use the Access DB type and install everything on one box.

Guest Unregistered

Ok, I now understand that portion of db housing, etc. Next question is, if I do decide to link the tcadmin web db to the website through a subdomain, I will need to run apache on the dedicated hosting the tcadmin master server program as well to forward all tcadmin data to the webserver, correct? Let's say I purchase the master server license. Once I download the master server, and install it... If I simply choose Master Server, then is there another required field to point to the remote db on my webserver? If I install the Master Server AND Webserver, does this mean that I need to forward the DNS of my webserver onto the dedicated, or does this mean that Everything will operate solely on the box itself, without needing anything to do with the webserver I have already? I guess, what I am basically asking is, if I have a webserver somewhere else, and I decide to store the sql db on that linux webserver, do I need to have apache on the dedicated where the master server is at, to forward all the requests for tcadmin to it?

Install TCAdmin master and the DB on your windows game server box. You can use either an Access DB or install MySQL on the same windows box to use. Then from youe shared webhosting site, create an "A" record for tcadmin.yourdomain.com pointing to the IP of the IIS website TCAdmin is running on.

If you do not want to run MySQL on your windows game server box, you can use a MySQL db on a linux box, but is should be in the same datacenter for speed purposes. You do not need nor want apache running on your windows game server box. Your main website that you are running for your site you are selling from, should not be on the game server box and it can be on linux or windows or any other OS as long as you use an "A" record as above.

Guest Unregistered

Thanks so much for clearing that up. I understand what I need to do completely now. Just for the heck of it, I was just wondering if at all you guys might have a document or something containing the structure, no code, or anything crazy or of any special use, just a structure build available? Sorry if that's too much to ask, but I was interested in how tcadmin works via the stack level.

Thanks for all the info you've provided thus far. (I am the unregistered user.) I went ahead and purchased a master server license. I am currently being hosted through hypernia.com, and Lane, and Patrick told me that if I asked for an install to be done, that you guys would do it for free as long as I had purchased a license. Is this true? And if so, when would be a good time to do this?

Ok, I've already installed it using access db instead of mysql. I am using xampp to run the hosting. I've logged in, and set everything up. Now, when attempting to add a server, I am getting:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Evidently I am doing this all wrong. I'd like to just have it set up through sql, not access. I just feel more comfortable with sql. When should I send info on IP logins etc. May I send them tonight in order for you to do tomorrow? Or would you rather wait until tomorrow. I am an enlisted soldier, so my time is limited during the day :p

Archived