Max CPU Usage? Or kill processes with CPU too high

Benheryet

I have 4 cores on my server. When a GMOD server crashes, it doesnt just die and restart, it will just hang with 1000 ping and 25% cpu (using a whole core) untill it is manually restarted. Because it never stops responding (just has 1000 ping), TCAdmin doesnt auto stop server.

Is there anything in TCAdmin? or external program which can solve this?

It would be good to see a "kill server if CPU is over 80% of a single processor core" function, there are games other than GMod that are based around server-side scripting and quite a few people have no idea how to script properly (A nested loop doing something complicated for every player on the server 10 times a second? Yeah that's fine, lets code it!)

It should be coded such that the calculation takes into account the singlethreaded nature of most game servers. In an environment where you may have dual, qual, oct and higher core servers, setting a simple percentage of total CPU will not work. You need to get the total number of processors and if TotalCPUOfAProcess * Cores > 80%, kill the server and inform user.

It would be good to see a "kill server if CPU is over 80% of a single processor core" function, there are games other than GMod that are based around server-side scripting and quite a few people have no idea how to script properly (A nested loop doing something complicated for every player on the server 10 times a second? Yeah that's fine, lets code it!)

It should be coded such that the calculation takes into account the singlethreaded nature of most game servers. In an environment where you may have dual, qual, oct and higher core servers, setting a simple percentage of total CPU will not work. You need to get the total number of processors and if TotalCPUOfAProcess * Cores > 80%, kill the server and inform user.

I agree :grin:

I don't think we'll see anything new feature-wise to TCAdmin for quite some time. Since all efforts seem to be going to TCA2 development, and not TCA1 bugfixing. Last I heard development was taking much longer then anticipated, so perhaps feature requests are better kept to ourselves until early to mid next year, when TCA2 comes out.

So basically you want us to fix what someone else has screwed up right?

Sorta, we want the ability to automatically terminate processes that are using way more processor than they really should to help protect the stability of the machine, server and prevent the skewing of the load-balancing system.

But I guess you could call it other people's screwups if you really want to :grin:

Or call it a feature, which kills off responding over cpu limit processes which use x cpu over h hours...

Seems like a fantastic idea to me, actually I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't be in there with or without the gmod problem. It should be in there simply because its a "good idea".

I undestand what you are asking. But it think the coders for the games should be held accountable for their issues not us.

Not that the feature would not be of a benefit to our product. Most likely it will be added in V2.

I undestand what you are asking. But it think the coders for the games should be held accountable for their issues not us.

Not that the feature would not be of a benefit to our product. Most likely it will be added in V2.

It would benifit TCAdmin greatly, the ability to make sure a certain server doesnt use over xxx CPU

This isnt just a random fix for a game, it can be used for load balencing and everything

Unless it's very hard to code, why wait for V2 (which could be years away as no date has been said :()

Playing the waiting game for v2 is going to get long and strenuous quickly though. You have already openly admitted that development is taking far longer then you want and you don't have a planned release date. Which tells me it will be a very long time before we see something new. I honestly don't expect to see anything until 4Q 09 or 1Q 2010.

I will simply say it will not be added to V1. The reason why V2 is so far behind is all the reuest we have done for V1.

Time to move forward instead of running in place and get V2 coded out.

Can you give us a Year and quater for release then?

Archived