Ram

Optionals based on sytem requirements:

Better power supply

Video card

DVD drive or burner

floppy drive

SCSI card

SATA Raid card

As motormouth said you need to read up and study up first or hire someone that knows there stuff as there are a whole slew of problems to weave through. I still pitty and yet laugh at a friend I had who thought he knew better then me and if he just bought the strongest of every component he'd have a killer system. Instead he had so many conflicts that his system couldn't do anything. You need to know what you are doing will building a system!!

i am into building server too

and I need good motherboard that supports 16gb ram ddr2 or 12 triple channel ddr3.

Also I need high capacity ddr2 memory modules,

I am BUYING this components so some good webshop is what I am looking for.

Also, I am in europe :)

Motherboard is optional, but high capacity modules is essential, i can buy 2gb, but 4gb is necessary to fill 16gb on 4 memory slots.

Hi Potato,

if your wanting a custom build 1U dedicated server please feel free to checkout our dedicated shop & we are only uk based

http://www.dedifrag.com/shop

If you have any questions or queries please don’t hesitate to contact me

Regards

Mark Jordan

DediFrag Servers

Msn support@dedifrag.com

Xfire = markdedifrag

http://www.dedifrag.com/

It's always cheaper and better to build your own then have someone/company build it for you.

Take the time to learn it and it'll save you tons of $ in the future. There are all kinds of tutorials, FAQ's, Forum boards that will help guide you along and point you in the right direction and to the right companies no matter where your location is.

It's always cheaper and better to build your own then have someone/company build it for you.

Take the time to learn it and it'll save you tons of $ in the future. There are all kinds of tutorials, FAQ's, Forum boards that will help guide you along and point you in the right direction and to the right companies no matter where your location is.

No, its not always cheaper to build it on your own. You are paying retail prices unlike vendors/hardware builders that are getting bulk discount on the hardware.

I guess the actual answer to your question would be a question in itself. Do you know how to build a server?

If not then you should most likely purchase it from a vendor pre-assembled.

Unless of course you are on a learning mission and would like to learn how to properly pick system components and how to assemble them yourself.

Theres plenty of people willing to help you pick out components. CWL from Apaq digital reviewed my initial build list and made a lot of suggestions to it and I wound up with an amazing build for my first colocated box. Dual e5520 Nehalems, 12GB DDR3 Ram, Raid 1 320GB HDDs, and so on. I recommend just making a list of parts, then posting them and getting some reviews.

Theres plenty of people willing to help you pick out components. CWL from Apaq digital reviewed my initial build list and made a lot of suggestions to it and I wound up with an amazing build for my first colocated box. Dual e5520 Nehalems, 12GB DDR3 Ram, Raid 1 320GB HDDs, and so on. I recommend just making a list of parts, then posting them and getting some reviews.

yup, that is the machine I got quoted on.

Dual Intel Xeon Gainestown L5520 Low-Power, 8x 2.26Ghz cores, 2x 8M L3

supermicro X8DTL-iF dual socket 1366 server board

12-Gig (3x 4G) ECC registered DDR3-1333, 3x open

2x Western Digital 500G Caviar Blue SATA-II 7200rpm

no CD, no floppy

on-board Intel ICH10R 6-port SATA-II controller

on-board Intel 82574L 2x GB NIC ports

on-board IPMI 2.0 Adapter w/KVM-over-IP & 3rd NIC port

supermicro 1U SC811TQ-520B chassis

2x hot-swap SATA bays

supermicro 1U 520-watt power supply

1U rail kit

UPS Ground/Insurance

=========

$2630 shipped

yup, that is the machine I got quoted on.

Dual Intel Xeon Gainestown L5520 Low-Power, 8x 2.26Ghz cores, 2x 8M L3

supermicro X8DTL-iF dual socket 1366 server board

12-Gig (3x 4G) ECC registered DDR3-1333, 3x open

2x Western Digital 500G Caviar Blue SATA-II 7200rpm

no CD, no floppy

on-board Intel ICH10R 6-port SATA-II controller

on-board Intel 82574L 2x GB NIC ports

on-board IPMI 2.0 Adapter w/KVM-over-IP & 3rd NIC port

supermicro 1U SC811TQ-520B chassis

2x hot-swap SATA bays

supermicro 1U 520-watt power supply

1U rail kit

UPS Ground/Insurance

=========

$2630 shipped

You easily can save about ~$450-$500 building that yourself from parts. You can even get some better HDDs. ;)

You easily can save about ~$450-$500 building that yourself from parts. You can even get some better HDDs. ;)

Wrong, it cost's exactly $2,530 for every part exactly the same to be shipped + tax on newegg. So you are saving $100 and I will have someone build it for me for $100 for I don't need to ship it two times which it will cost me close to $100 to ship it back out to the data center and losing my time building it.

I guarantee I could also ask for a small discount and use a wire transfer to save another 2% through apaq and get the box CHEAPER then I could build it for by a few hundred bucks.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11823132

Shipping is around $35

$2,234 < $2,630

If you want to ship the box across the country (~$75) or across the pond that's on you but the parts will be cheaper to buy separately and assemble yourself, even with your 2% off.

The difference may not be great, but the $270 in savings (factoring the 2% and shipping) could go into a fund to get another.

But my $450-500 stands correct at $396, $270 shipped to datacenter.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11823132

Shipping is around $35

$2,234 < $2,630

If you want to ship the box across the country (~$75) or across the pond that's on you but the parts will be cheaper to buy separately and assemble yourself, even with your 2% off.

The difference may not be great, but the $270 in savings (factoring the 2% and shipping) could go into a fund to get another.

But my $450-500 stands correct at $396, $270 shipped to datacenter.

Clearly you dont get it , you are not putting tax in nor are you putting shipping in which is another $200+ . You are also not adding 2% off if you do a wire transfer with apaq , and you are ALSO not putting in how much it will cost you to ship it back to the datacenter and it's not $35 to ship a box it's more like $75+. You are also not including if you ask for a $100-$200 discount from apaq.

so your $450-$500 does not stand correct. as if you add all thoose factors in it's MORE not cheaper.

Which would roughly be $2,625 and that's without my TIME (my time is not free) to build the box. You also know all the parts are working as they will test it before they ship it out which is alot better then building it at home to find out you have sticks of ram are dead.

Read my post again, or maybe I made it too confusing. The only non-factored variable is your "extra discount."

Shipping from Newegg is $35.

And lets fix that typo: "But my $450-500 stands corrected at $396, $270 shipped to datacenter."

Derek, if you want to buy your server preassembled, be my guest. I am simply giving the OP every option they have.

While we are talking about the OP:

You will need:

CPU

RAM

Hard Drive(s)

Motherboard

Chassis

Power Supply (if not included with chassis)

Take a look at some preassembled packages and non-preassembled packages and see what favors YOUR business the best.

+1 to Axsis

I think Derek fails to realize that some people don't have to pay taxes, it might be better for him to get it pre-assembled living in Canada. I pay no taxes from newegg, get shipping discounts and usually the parts I order don't really have shipping fees....

It really just comes down to "Shop around" and to my initial point of learning it. You'll save money. If you know nothing about PC's and go to Alienware to get some 5,000$ PC/Server for like.... 2000 if you build it yourself - I think it proves all our points.

+1 to Axsis

I think Derek fails to realize that some people don't have to pay taxes, it might be better for him to get it pre-assembled living in Canada. I pay no taxes from newegg, get shipping discounts and usually the parts I order don't really have shipping fees....

It really just comes down to "Shop around" and to my initial point of learning it. You'll save money. If you know nothing about PC's and go to Alienware to get some 5,000$ PC/Server for like.... 2000 if you build it yourself - I think it proves all our points.

If you don't pay taxes that may be a different story but for the people that do , ie , CALI the price is exactly the same or cheaper and it's no where near $550 difference.

Terrible example Alienware and building your own PC. It's like saying it's cheaper to build a Supermicro server compared to buying a HP/DELL/SUN server. Well duh of course it's cheaper.

So but pelase explain how you dont have shipping fees ? You get free ups insured shipping to the data center ? Every part you order has free shipping ? (or you didnt end up even looking at the links ? (were it clearly has shipping prices) Your time to build the server is free ? (because my time is worth money)

You don't have time to "shop around" when you you are building servers and shipping them every week. This is my whole point you don't run a game server provider so you wouldnt have experience so stop assuming as it puts false hope and false suggestions to other people.

This isn't a debate it's facts , of course you can say "I don't get charged tax so it's free" well I can make it non ECC ram and drop the price by $480.

I mean it's just silly with all your posts are just you assusming and really not knowing what you are talking about. As I know I will take suggestions from people that have had experience in this market and industry not someone that thinks they know what they are talking about.

Here you go Derek my boy. Just for you and how you fail at reading people's posts clearly.

1. He's starting a business (as far as I know from his original post) So he has plenty of time to 'shop around' and do his 'homework' before that business starts - You assumed, not me.

2. It isn't about me, or you, it's about giving advice to a potential person who is starting a business. If you HONESTLY think you don't shop and do your homework before you build/order a server for the first time for that genuine business, you and that business will fail, I assure that - Again, another assumption down the drain.

3. Newegg.com - Not "Newegg Canada" - and other various microcenters always offer discounts and 'free shipping' and coupon orders. If you build servers/PC's for a living (Like I do... so you fail at that assumption, Derek) then you'll be smart to pick up that 'RAM', that 'CPU' and other hardware for your future build(s) because it's at a great discount that you wouldn't get everyday - Gee, another one bites the dust. I love that song by the way :)

4. If you ship a lot with a company, you can sometimes get VIP for being a good customer, and usually they'll give you discounts (I get discounts) But that all depends on the person/shipping business.

As for free shipping from say... newegg? They are all the time offering free shipping for most of the up-to-date hardware/software. - Shoot my last build cost me 9$ and it was a full build with accessories.

-- Wow, I know absolutely nothing about the internet and online shopping... because I don't run a GSP, come on give me a break!

Derek, I really don't care what you think about me, what I do, and what I say. You say I'm assuming, but tell me what I am 'oh so assuming about'? You can't find a damn thing but your own words vs. mine. But you want to use the 'GSP' Business as your defense, well you can use that to your defense all you want. I don't run a GSP, that's correct. Nor do I need to run a GSP to build servers and desktops and have good shopping sense........... You REALLY need to quit assuming, not me.

Here you go Derek my boy. Just for you and how you fail at reading people's posts clearly.

1. He's starting a business (as far as I know from his original post) So he has plenty of time to 'shop around' and do his 'homework' before that business starts - You assumed, not me.

2. It isn't about me, or you, it's about giving advice to a potential person who is starting a business. If you HONESTLY think you don't shop and do your homework before you build/order a server for the first time for that genuine business, you and that business will fail, I assure that - Again, another assumption down the drain.

3. Newegg.com - Not "Newegg Canada" - and other various microcenters always offer discounts and 'free shipping' and coupon orders. If you build servers/PC's for a living (Like I do... so you fail at that assumption, Derek) then you'll be smart to pick up that 'RAM', that 'CPU' and other hardware for your future build(s) because it's at a great discount that you wouldn't get everyday - Gee, another one bites the dust. I love that song by the way :)

4. If you ship a lot with a company, you can sometimes get VIP for being a good customer, and usually they'll give you discounts (I get discounts) But that all depends on the person/shipping business.

As for free shipping from say... newegg? They are all the time offering free shipping for most of the up-to-date hardware/software. - Shoot my last build cost me 9$ and it was a full build with accessories.

-- Wow, I know absolutely nothing about the internet and online shopping... because I don't run a GSP, come on give me a break!

Derek, I really don't care what you think about me, what I do, and what I say. You say I'm assuming, but tell me what I am 'oh so assuming about'? You can't find a damn thing but your own words vs. mine. But you want to use the 'GSP' Business as your defense, well you can use that to your defense all you want. I don't run a GSP, that's correct. Nor do I need to run a GSP to build servers and desktops and have good shopping sense........... You REALLY need to quit assuming, not me.

Your point 1 and 4 contradicts itself. 3. I was using newegg.com and using my co-owners zip code. 2. Your advice is useless as you have no experience and have no clue what you are talking about unless someone wants to talk a "shopping sense" advice.

There is a forum called "wannabegsp.com" , as this is a place not for you son. :)

ps. It seems you are the one assusming. Go Go I know alot about "online shopping" rofl. (not sure what that has to do with anything)

I am having so much fun laughing. What would we do without clueless folks ?

How does 1 and 4 contradict itself? It was pointed out to you, since you fail to realize anything nor read and comprehend clearly.

2. It's only useless for you. Because you obviously don't know much about building servers (that's why you choose someone to have it built?) I just assumed there though.

Who said I wanted to be a GSP? Boy, you do assume don't you?

P.S - That makes no sense what so ever, and just because you don't know about online shopping and having any common sense when ordering parts. Doesn't mean others do not.

I'm having fun too, Derek. What would we do without clueless folks (like yourself) hehe.

Archived