In Need Of...Section 8 Config File

integrapynoy

So this is what i have found so far after doing some quick research among forums and such. TimeGate Studios pretty much bashed the windows server.

Things wrong:

> So far it will not run or can be configured in TCAdmin

> Servers requires keys, which so far can only be found from purchasing a retail box

> Only 1 server will be allowed to run per machine using their interface

> That 1 server you do setup, is very buggy

So that leads me to conclude that its going to be a short while before Section 8 servers are actually available for purchase from a GSP.

Keep this thead posted with new info please.

Its only for "ranked providers" lol.

Derek, how come its a waste? i just want to know.. no sales? not many people buying? or what?

No, it's not only for ranked providers not sure were you got that from.

You must have not read above my post were someone listed the problems. That would answer your questions. Sales were not a problem and had plenty of pre-orders but the problem is wasting my time to make a few bucks doesn't sit well with me as my time isn't free.

S8 can be run with TCa but it's a real pain in the @ss.

Here are the real issues.

Only 1 S8 server instance can be run per windows user. This is becasue S8 requires Games for Windows live accounts to login to the lobby and only 1 live account per windows user can be run.

Also each windows live account requires a unique token or game key. Now you can have the client input this key in the the command-line but you still need to have a user that has ADMIN privledges in order for it to login to live. Also each token or key needs to be registered under that windows user account.

Then you'll need to set tca to run this specific instance as that user in the service folders follwing TCA's guide in the knowledgebase.

It's really to bad since I have had opportunity to play this game since the beginning and it's really a good peice of work. Southpeak and Timegate did a great job on this game.

Originally They were using both GFWL and Gamespy but I think they went with GFWL becasue of the X-box servers they have. Wouldn't really know but thats my guess to that one.

Edited by HIS-MOTHER

S8 can be run with TCa but it's a real pain in the @ss.

Here are the real issues.

Only 1 S8 server instance can be run per windows user. This is becasue S8 requires Games for Windows live accounts to login to the lobby and only 1 live account per windows user can be run.

Also each windows live account requires a unique token or game key. Now you can have the client input this key in the the command-line but you still need to have a user that has ADMIN privledges in order for it to login to live. Also each token or key needs to be registered under that windows user account.

Then you'll need to set tca to run this specific instance as that user in the service folders follwing TCA's guide in the knowledgebase.

It's really to bad since I have had opportunity to play this game since the beginning and it's really a good peice of work. Southpeak and Timegate did a great job on this game.

Originally They were using both GFWL and Gamespy but I think they went with GFWL becasue of the X-box servers they have. Wouldn't really know but thats my guess to that one.

Yup, as well as a hand full of other issues. Like you said the game is wicked but they sure fooked up the gsps.

The main problem we were having with TCAdmin is starting/stopping the game server. Both the s8.exe and s8game-f-prot.exe files start both the game and GFWL, however the game itself is s8game.exe. So when we would use TCAdmin to start/stop the game, it wouldn't, and if it was set to check if it was running, it wouldn't see it running and would try to start additional copies.

So we basically use TCAdmin to install the game, and to process config file changes. We use another application to do the command line settings and to start/stop and auto-restart.

The program would work setting the service to run as the user, then we started getting directx issues when using tcadmin to start the game. Basically you could launch the game using the cmd prompt as the user TCAdmin was set to run it as, and the game would run, but using TCAdmin to launch the same command, set to run as the same user, would cause a directx related game crash.

We have been in contact with TG though regarding how to make the program work with TCAdmin, so hopefully in the next patch they will make the changes.

I know TG is working on fixing the double exe process issue, but in the meantime, anyone know of a way to get TCAdmin to monitor both processes the game loads? Or at least send automatically a taskkill for one of the processes when a restart/stop command is issued while still being able to point to the other starting application to issue the command line arguments?

IE: s8game-f-prot.exe is used to start GFWL and the game server, which loads s8game-f.exe. S8game-f-prot.exe also passes the command line argument parameters through to s8game-f.exe. If s8game-f-prot.exe is killed by TCAdmin, it doesn't stop s8game-f.exe. You can't point directly through to s8game.f.exe as it doesn't start GFWL.

Edited by PhantomYoda

We did try doing the batch file, but it didn't work, because of how they have the game setup. s8.exe and s8game-f-prot.exe do the same function, so we just use s8game-f-prot.exe.

To start the game server, you set the game exe as s8game-f-prot.exe and send the parameters for the game server to start. (The game is off the Unreal3 engine). S8game-f-prot.exe starts GFWL, and then passes the command line parameters to s8game-f.exe which actually loads the game server. In task manager you will see both s8game-f-prot.exe (GFWL and Server redirect) and s8game-f.exe (Server) running. If you kill (or use TCAdmin to stop/restart) s8game-f-prot.exe it doesn't kill the child process s8game-f.exe, so the game server keeps running. TCAdmin/Windows attempt to restart the server but end up starting a second/third/forth etc server which all crash out because the first is already running and using the GFWL login which you can only have one running per windows user account.

I did find out if we can setup tcadmin or windows services to issue a kill process tree command instead of a kill process, it will exit the game server when a restart/stop command is issued.

If TCAdmin is already supposed to kill the parent and child process, or if I am setting up the batch file wrong, let me know.

We didn't really want to use a batch file for the command line parameters because we have .bat blocked in TCAdmin, and because server settings such as slot count, game score, bots, ranking, etc are all configured through the command line, not the config files.

First.. There are no issues running it using TCADMIN. The only issue is running multiples as it requires a seperate user. Make sure you only need install the GFWL partnernet not the entire client if its public. Sort of a lite version of GFWL as I see it, and only one install of that per machine to default location.

I posted one of our cfg's but this was when Timegate was using Gamespy and you will need to remove the maxplayers from the custom commandline area as we had it so Southpeak/Timegate could manipulate the entire structure.

You will also need to remove the updates listed as these were CLOSED Alpha/Beta updates that are not available to the public.

You should then be able to install multiples but would need to use the tcadmin knowledgebase article on running services under a different user.

Also we never got a decent querry from the game to TCA.

ECF or Luis may be able to add that in as I am not sure what protocol its now using, as I said it was gamespy but has since gone to GFWL.

This will start only one instance without issue.

You can use the same one for the X-servers if they released those publicly.

Keep in mind this Config ws used during developement of the game so the Custom commandline editor gives full access, you'll need to remove the lines you dont want them to have access to> specifically port and slot count.

this also may not contain all the default .ini files to write to as when we were testing the game did not read from the .ini files it was all command-line.

Enjoy.. :)

Section8.txt

Edited by HIS-MOTHER

We get the following error from section 8 when we try and run it from TCAdmin. I get it with our config, and also with using your config and doing the runas.config.

Log: Machine levels GPUM:0 GPUD:1 GPUS:0 CPU:4 CPUM:5

Critical: appError called: Direct3D->GetAdapterDisplayMode(AdapterIndex,&CurrentDisplayMode) failed

at d:\build\DS\Branch\RC2\Development\Src\D3D9Drv\Src\D3D9Device.cpp:160

with error D3DERR_INVALIDCALL

Critical: Windows GetLastError: The device is not ready. (21)

Log: === Critical error: ===

Direct3D->GetAdapterDisplayMode(AdapterIndex,&CurrentDisplayMode) failed

at d:\build\DS\Branch\RC2\Development\Src\D3D9Drv\Src\D3D9Device.cpp:160

with error D3DERR_INVALIDCALL

RaiseException() Address = 0x769df328 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll]

CxxThrowException() Address = 0x75678e89 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.3053_none_d08d7bba442a9b36\MSVCR80.dll]

GetOutermost() Address = 0x4a4213 (filename not found) [in D:\UserFiles\clanaodbf\GameServers\TC55814411335843855116821\Binaries\S8Game-F.exe]

Address = 0xe8756d4c (filename not found)

Address = 0xe8756d4c (filename not found)

Funny about it working in TCAdmin... Robert from TG told us you guys couldn't get it to work in TCAdmin, so you were using firedaemon. He worked with me for about 2 weeks getting it setup and configured to have it run with tcadmin (install/config files) and serverdoc (command line/start/stop), even though it doesn't actually stop using server doc.

Any idea on what's causing the directx error? We get that when we start it with TCAdmin. If I manually start it outside of TCAdmin it works, Even though the command line and user is exactly the same.

Thats not why they are using firedaemon. They are using it because of the multiple users issue.

Not sure why you arent able to get it to run as it fires up fine for us it's only that it's a real pain in the ass to configure multiple users when running a lot of servers on one machine. FD is just faster to configure for multiple windows users.

The only other issue is using a runas.config wont allow for desktop interaction but a .bat will using

runas /username /password /env

/env switch tells it to run in that enviroment or on the active desktop.

I can tell you that we had a hell of a time getting these up even on a .bat as the command line is very tempermental. It had something to do with format or even spacing. I was the one who finally did get it up after a few hours of tinkering. It's really to bad and I hope Robert and team resolve these issues. Really is a great game from a client/gameplay standpoint.

If you have to use a .bat justt keep it restricted globally and add in the allowance to allow.bat editing in just that game directory.

Then make a custom config editor so it only writes to certain lines of the .bat and remove ftp access to the binaries folder. Make it hidden or whatever.

EDIT: W00T 1000th post!!!:D

Edited by HIS-MOTHER

Yeah I am not sure what is causing it either. I have the full command line in a batch file, install3.bat. I have TCADmin setup using the runas.config to run it as user section8app. If I use TCAdmin to start install3.bat the game crashes out with the above direct3d error. If I log into the user section8app and double click install3.bat, it starts without problem.

It's something to do with TCAdmin.

Yeah I am not sure what is causing it either. I have the full command line in a batch file, install3.bat. I have TCADmin setup using the runas.config to run it as user section8app. If I use TCAdmin to start install3.bat the game crashes out with the above direct3d error. If I log into the user section8app and double click install3.bat, it starts without problem.

It's something to do with TCAdmin.

Show me the contents of your .bat file you are executing.

Here is the current bat file contents:

runas /profile /env /savecred /user:section8app "S8Game-F-prot.exe server TER07_Base-LargeA?Dedicated?FF=PART?BotMode=4?Difficulty=2?Ranked=0?Autobalance=ON?GoalScore=1500?HostType=1 -nohomedir -unattended -multihome=64.34.213.160 -port=7780"

I have also tried

S8Game-F-prot.exe server TER07_Base-LargeA?Dedicated?FF=PART?BotMode=4?Difficulty=2?Ranked=0?Autobalance=ON?GoalScore=1500?HostType=1 -nohomedir -unattended -multihome=64.34.213.160 -port=7780

When I use the first one, section8 wont start. runas.exe shows up in the processes under user section8app but the game itself doesn't start.

If I use the second one, the game will start but will crash out with the direct3d error above.

I have also tried setting tcadmin monitor to run as admin and section8app. I have also tried the runas.config for the game itself setting the service to run as section8app.

Anytime I try and have TCAdmin start the game using any combination of service and batch file settings, I get the direct3d error. If I manually start the game using any of the batch file combos it works. (either as runas section8app or starting it under the user section8app.)

The system is a windows 2008 system. I did get it working about a month ago under TCAdmin using batch files, but recently anytime we try and use TCAdmin, we get the error. That's why we went with TCAdmin to install the game and manage config files, and serverdoc to run/restart the game and manage the command line.

Well i do see it's mising your login info for one.

This was a working bat I used.

runas /env /savecred /user:testuser "S8.exe server DES10_Base-SmallA?hosttype=1?maxplayers=32?BotMode=7?FF=part?ServerName=Hypernia2?mapcycle=DES10_Base-SmallA-login=gfwlloginamehere-password=gfwlpasswordhere -port=7778

This will work using it in a bat or executing the bat via tCA.

Not sure what the /profile is doing for you in there.

Then of course you need to register the token under each user as well . Your token being a unique gamekey. One for each instance.

So that .bat is

s8.exe runas /env /savecred /user:testuser -registertoken=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXX

Notice when you use runas you have to put the quotes in front of the s8.exe but for some reason not close it out at the end of command.

Like I said, very finicky game.

EDIT: Run the register .bat 1st, then run the game under a user. You have to register the KEY to the windows user. Also Don't use wordwrap and make the line just one long one, it CAN NOT drop down a line or it will casue issues as well.

Edited by HIS-MOTHER

When we register the token and email we use the -savelogin command so we don't have to put the email/password into the command line. We block access to that since it's all that's needed to run a ranked server.

We run the registertoken, and savelogin commands using RDT to login under the windows user account then run the game once using the bat file before trying to get TCADmin to run it.

I am thinking it has to do with something with the environment that TCAdmin is using vs the RDT environment since both options are supposed to start the server under the user section8app, except when we have TCAdmin load the bat file it doesnt work but if we sign in with RDT under section8app and manually click on the bat that TCAdmin points to it will run.

Edited by PhantomYoda

Yeah if I use the runas command in the batch file and have TCADmin start the batch file, runas.exe loads in processes under user section8app but nothing else happens. Doesn't even load the game.

If I take that out and just run the game's command line (s8game-f-prot.exe and on) it will start the game but will crash out with the direct3d error I listed above.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use