Dangers of File transfer

gemcneill

As we all know (or should know) the default.sql that teamspeak suggest we use sets permissions that are a good idea for TS3 hosting. One of these permissions is to disable file transfer. Obviously there are dangers but customers are asking for this. Is it a good idea to disable this even though it is a major feature for this new version? What are the real dangers with allow this since you have the ability to limit their total transfer rates per month? Is there anyone out there allowing this on their TS3 servers?

Is anyone having an issues with it enabled? For example seeing excessive usage or as a warze site, or viruses/malware.

George

you can ONLY get problems with it enabled.And this is not a necessary feature, ppl who wana share files already got megaupload, xfire/msn, website etc.

There are so many legal issues that you have to cover yourself for with this feature. So either have your lawyer created a huge TOS for it, or simply do not use it.

Even with the TOS in place you will still have to field all the abuse emails as well as remove files. movies etc...

• 1 month later...

Thanks Goran and Studeggle I read the permission guide but I don't understand how to edit under windows the permision sets and wich permission I have to modify to disable to the user the possibility to change the file transfer and most important the slots setting.

• 1 year later...

I was wondering how to disable File Transfer with the recommended defaults.sql

http://teamspeak.netfire.com/literature/defaults.sql

I have:

insert into server_properties (server_id, id, ident, value) values (0, 0, "virtualserver_max_download_total_bandwidth", "0");

insert into server_properties (server_id, id, ident, value) values (0, 0, "virtualserver_max_upload_total_bandwidth", "0");

Is there anything else to it?

I assume most likely clients with SA could modify that bandwidth setting, I'm still learning how to do that.

Archived