Wolfenstein: ET

Flightwatch

Did some research. When I changed to port from 27960 to 27961, traffic usage is reduced by 1mbit/s.

So it seems the port is under attack.

I found the problem: http://www.wolffiles.de/index.php?news-26 and http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22936

For most et servers it started begin of January.

There is a fix but only for Linux.

Does anybody also experience this problem?

• 5 months later...

Have also noticed this. Today ran a test and with empty server running it was using 1 megabit per sec on boot. After a few minutes it would climb to 2 megabits a sec bandwidth.

Any thoughts on this and is there a windows fix.

Wizz

when you run the game server by limited user you will avoid the problem.

At least that worked for us.

Hi and thanks for the reply. Can you please explain this "limited user" inref to tcadmin. It is my understanding that tcadmin uses admin rights on the box.

How can we set the game to be run as limited user.

Wizz

I'm using the script by dimitri.. win2008x64

I just installed his 2003 script and it creates the user account like it should and assigns the service to that user account. The issue I am having now is the server will not start. I get a 1053 error: The service did not respond to the start request in a timely fashion.

Waste or not, it fixed the problem with our servers...

How does it fix the problem, creating a limited user does not restrict access to the game server so the exploit can still send 1000s of getstats request. We are going to have a coder look at it and see if he can convert the Linux fix to work with windows.

This is how I fixed the getstats exploit. I purchased Beethink IP Blocker and added China, Russia, Korea, and Taiwan to the country ban list and the problem stopped. So the attacks were being generated from one of those locations.

Not the best solution but until we can get the exploit fixed it will have to do.

You still have to manually ban the U.S. Ip addresses but they are easy to identify.

Thanks Nate

We are talking to a coder trying to have an IP blocker created that will monitor a set IP and Port and auto ban if traffic exceeds a given value.

if you get someone able to code that kind of tool (assuming its for any game not just ET) I would be interested and willing to share development fees. You can email me at admin[at]roxservers[dot]com

didnt have problems of that kind yet but Id rather prevent it

Archived