Game Downloader

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Perhaps allowing an http downloader. Simple enough to add just 4 lines of code. It would help in cases like Terraria where the only way to update server files is to download it from their site. Doesn't have to directly point to anything just add a line that allows us to insert a link in the config or something. Or allow us default/custom variables in scripts. If there is a feature to do something like this I haven't found it yet in TCAdmin 2.

You can download the updates and then import them into the game so your clients can install the update to the game on an as needed basis. However opening up your network, master and remotes to this is both very risky and could take down your box.

You can download the updates and then import them into the game so your clients can install the update to the game on an as needed basis. However opening up your network, master and remotes to this is both very risky and could take down your box.

It would be a predefined link set in the game types config. Broadening the possibilities to achieve such an idea is a great way to come up with a method of doing such a thing.

Edited by RavockServers

This will be added later on with an option to disable direct downloads. The problem I see with this is someone hacks the Terraria web server and replaces the exe with a virus. You download it and run it.

Completely agree. I was just using that as an example but I have a a script running on a separate server that downloads the files(If the RSS feed shows an update) and checks them for viruses after download.

Completely agree. I was just using that as an example but I have a a script running on a separate server that downloads the files(If the RSS feed shows an update) and checks them for viruses after download.

That will only help if it is a regular virus, and not a custom made piece of code that haven't been seen yet, witch would probably be the case as the attacker would try and inject some code into the game server, so you wont see that there is a problem.

That will only help if it is a regular virus, and not a custom made piece of code that haven't been seen yet, witch would probably be the case as the attacker would try and inject some code into the game server, so you wont see that there is a problem.

Yes. But same goes for adding it to the game updates list. Sure an admin could try it locally and then add it if all is well but there are ways of wrapping a virus to an application so it might not even be noticeable until later. I don't know about others here but sure its a pain to restore backups and reconfigure a server but that can all be done in a hour or less. It would be the host's choice to use such a feature or not and would you rather lose hundreds of customers because of delayed updates just because of the off chance a publisher might be hacked?