Bye Bye FPS

Monk

Well that will have a huge influence on the market, on the other hand it's pretty neat!

If anyone is interested here's the original post:

A near-future update (not necessarily the next one) will change the way that framerate is handled in the dedicated server. All users, especially those with very low pings, should receive a smoother gameplay experience with less jitter and more consistent-feeling latency.

Another effect of these changes is that all Orange Box (TF2, CS:S, etc) dedicated servers will run with a locked framerate, similar to L4D/L4D2. The fps_max convar will not have any effect on servers. (It remains as a client option since limiting your FPS can reduce GPU heat and overall power consumption.)

Although we don't normally give notice before updates, this is a potentially disruptive change for the server rental market, so those who currently charge premiums for "higher framerates" should probably start considering their options now.

This will cause quite a stir in the Source Engine game market.

No more 1000 FPS means everyone is on a level playing field and there will be no more super expensive 1000fps servers.

I think it is a good move on Valve's part as a lot of people do not know how to run a stable 1000 FPS server.

Curious to see how this will pan out...

@SickPuppy - You just saved some cash there :)

Saw this on the mailing list - I honestly have no issues as long as the gameplay remains the same. Will definately shakeup the price market a bit here - curious if certain providers will use this as positive manner to reinforce pricing, or will they go the other route and slash pricing and further cripple the market....Only time will tell!

I believe the FPS issue is a long time coming, glad its here. However there will always be a mod or plugin im sure that will come out to disable the limit. Always is. Same reason 100 tickrate was disabled but clients still wanted it, when there is a demand some one always comes out with a fix, so we dont recommend it but we offer 100 tickrates with a plugin. I hope we will put an end to different fps orders but time will see.

I believe the FPS issue is a long time coming, glad its here. However there will always be a mod or plugin im sure that will come out to disable the limit. Always is. Same reason 100 tickrate was disabled but clients still wanted it, when there is a demand some one always comes out with a fix, so we dont recommend it but we offer 100 tickrates with a plugin. I hope we will put an end to different fps orders but time will see.

No, there will not be a plugin to do this. They are removing it completely from the code and making it static, similar to quake 1's hz. Of course, most people that heard of quake 1 were in diapers when it was released.

No, there will not be a plugin to do this. They are removing it completely from the code and making it static, similar to quake 1's hz. Of course, most people that heard of quake 1 were in diapers when it was released.

lol....

I laughed too. I have been modding Valve game servers (SM/MMS/VSP plugins) as a freelance job for 3 years, and I don't think I have ever seen anything actually removed from the game files.

I was laughing at the quake reference :)

I laughed too. I have been modding Valve game servers (SM/MMS/VSP plugins) as a freelance job for 3 years, and I don't think I have ever seen anything actually removed from the game files.

And I've been writing mods for Quake engine games (OSP), writing anti-cheat stuff, did OS development long before you ever wrote your first plugin. Will they remove it from being modified via plugin? Probably not. But private emails from Alfred suggest otherwise.

Archived