Backup feature

Hello!

Some of my clients asked for a backup feature. We had that on our old panel (Multicraft). Basicly it would stop the server, create a .zip or whatever is easier to create of the whole server, place it in the user FTP then start the server. After that, the client can simply download his backup to his computer. Also maybe a restore feature?

Would love to see that feature implemented, it's been asked a lot by my Minecraft clients hehe.

If there was a small guide on the basics of Scripting in TCAdmin 2 I could probably create it.

I should mention a GSP should be running servers in RAID mode which is all you have to worry about, tbh. Backups are the customers duty. I wouldn't allow this backup to be stored on our FTP. They should be able to download it, not store it.

You can also perform server wide FTP backups via the Task Scheduler.

I should mention a GSP should be running servers in RAID mode which is all you have to worry about, tbh. Backups are the customers duty. I wouldn't allow this backup to be stored on our FTP. They should be able to download it, not store it.

Well they need a way to get their backup. Through the FTP was just a idea.

RAID is not a backup solution and it can fail. Personally I'd very much like to see a backup system similar to the FTP server option - setup a single backup box and let the system make backups and transfer them there. Then allow the client to download them through a option in the panel.

Don't really see what the issue would be there, especially if you setup rate limiting.

RAID is not a backup solution and it can fail. Personally I'd very much like to see a backup system similar to the FTP server option - setup a single backup box and let the system make backups and transfer them there. Then allow the client to download them through a option in the panel.

Don't really see what the issue would be there, especially if you setup rate limiting.

RAID is a providers backup solution. If an HD fails, you got the backup to place it back. Any other backups a customer may need (deleted file, etc) should make on his own.

You can already make a backup box and have TCAdmin upload backups via FTP. The thing is the client can't download.

bubka3 has a point, Raid is your backup for YOUR clients. Mods, Maps, ETC is the clients end of the deal. If anything a backup feature which backs up Mods, Maps, Settings, ETC would be a nice feature. If anything clients should be able to run it once every 24-72 hours (Depending on how often we set the time limit at) and the zip/rar would automatically be deleted in 30-60 minutes.

RAID is a providers backup solution. If an HD fails, you got the backup to place it back. Any other backups a customer may need (deleted file, etc) should make on his own.

You can already make a backup box and have TCAdmin upload backups via FTP. The thing is the client can't download.

I'm sorry thinking RAID can't fail is just stupid. RAID is not a backup solution and should never be considered such. I've personally had RAID-10 fail on me more often then I'd like and this is a full blown hardware RAID-10 setup with a BBU.

Right, which is my point - there should be a automated backup solution in place where TC-Admin uploads the backups to a centralized server and allows the client to download their backups through the control panel. I can't see that being very hard to setup tbh. While I could script this up externally I really would prefer it to be integrated right into TC-Admin so my clients do not need to go to another website just to download a backup and then have to upload them on top of it.

I'm sorry thinking RAID can't fail is just stupid. RAID is not a backup solution and should never be considered such. I've personally had RAID-10 fail on me more often then I'd like and this is a full blown hardware RAID-10 setup with a BBU.

I never said RAID won't fail. It will, sooner or later. I mean keeping any other types of copies other then RAID is stupid and costly. The difference is the data in the RAID array on one of the drives is bound to be good enough.

I never said RAID won't fail. It will, sooner or later. I mean keeping any other types of copies other then RAID is stupid and costly. The difference is the data in the RAID array on one of the drives is bound to be good enough.

You realize when a raid array fails (complete failure) the data on the other drives is pretty much gone unless you only use RAID-1 - and even then that can also get corrupted.

It's not a backup solution, and I feel sorry for your clients since you seem to think it is.

Edited by Paradox55

• 2 weeks later...
You realize when a raid array fails (complete failure) the data on the other drives is pretty much gone unless you only use RAID-1 - and even then that can also get corrupted.

It's not a backup solution, and I feel sorry for your clients since you seem to think it is.

Indeed.

RAID =! backup solution. We run RAID-1 or 0 depending on the configurations of our SSD's with hourly images to a RAID-1/RAID-6 backup array depending on the size of the nodes.

We've actually saved a bunch of our clients a few times =)

• 2 months later...

+1 here !

A tcadmin backup feature for our customers could be great :)

Since we all use a "general" backup system, I mean a customer one, simple and accessible by the control panel.

Something based on a same server than the one is hosting the files, but in a special folder.

And with really simple usage.

Exemple, backup page can contain up to x backup authorised on each gamemodel, then the customer can create a backup just by using a link, and restaure the backup just by using another link.

A function with automated backup can be great too, but everytime limited by the gamemodel limit of backups :)

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

the problem with uploading backups is that the ftp server is open. file safety is important.

the provider should..

a) run raid

b) allow the client to easily zip the contents they want to save.

c) allow remote ftp.

all these things are available within TCAdmin so this isn't really an issue. your clients should be told to keep backups regularly. (incase of a bad failure)

Backup isn't a client's responsibility but your own. If the server dies, you can hardly blame your clients.

Nor is backup a thing that TCAdmin should do. There are plenty of programs that focus fully on it. You lot should try Cobian, perfect for filebackups. Can upload via FTP,Incremental even! It also zips it all up in a lovely 7zip format.

• 1 month later...

We don't use raid however i do use backup servers for our content. Buy a cheap dedi/dedi's and get them to use scp protocols to download the backups. As regards mysql you can make a mailing script to email it to an email i have ours set to every 3hrs and its around 90mb with tcadmin. If they were to intergrate this it should allow pushing via ftp or scp.

However ultimately it is the customers responsibility to have backups for their stuff anyway as from a hosts point of view who don't use raid it can be quite hard as some of my backups are around 400gb of files meaning that it basically finishes downloading on backup server when next 1 needs to be done + it would lag the dedicated server/panel (resources)

Edited by simplyfrag
added last statement

Funny how we differ. I truly think, seeing as you're the one doing a service for the client, you're responsible for the integrity and performance of his server. This also means his files. Get the free backup program called Cobian, it can upload via SFTP and the works. Backup the user folders from TCAFiles on every gameserver.

Also schedule backups in the off hours, say 5 am till finish, for me it usually takes about 2-3 hours for a full backup. This is 150gb uncompressed, but cobian can get it down to 40gb, incrementals are even lower.

Still, interesting to see the different standpoints on this.