Backup feature

I also think it's your responsibility to keep a backup of the clients files. It can be done with a script and run automatically every 6 hours or so.

If some of your hardware fails and you lose all data on the server, you're gonna have some clients that are pissed off. For your own sake; take backups.

• 2 months later...

Raid 1 only provides security, it it not backup and will not be considered backup by anyone that is within the IT field.

We run every server with Raid 1 for the extra security, Simply because we can get the server back up quickly.

Ontop of this we also have a basic Rsync script running everyday to a offsite file server, Which stores the customers service for up to 7 days, And if you know some basic linux this is fairly simple to setup and has minimum bandwidth usage as we use Rsync and not Copy

• 8 months later...

I know this is bumping but after reading all this, the point I want to make is it would be a useful feature in TCAdmin for clients and for minimizing the amount of support tickets sent. A simple backup feature that backed up the gameserver so they could download it to their computer, or even stored in the server for x amount of hours/days would be useful, just because before installing a mod they are likely to backup their server. Their server breaks let's say on that mod install, they don't know how to fix it, where they would usually send a support ticket, they simply just restore that backup. You could specify configurations like; Giving client a download link and once downloaded it gets deleted off the server (for those with less storage space). or backups that are stored on the server for x amount of minutes/hours/days then deleted, or you could get more technical and if you sell web hosting with your gameservers it backs up to their web hosting space, or even something like googledrive or dropbox. It would be an extremely powerful feature to have in my opinion as you would have far less issues to deal with due to people being able to backup and restore a previous working version of their server. Just my two cents. So +1 from me!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We already offer these buttons to customers, one for files & another for plugins. It is scripted to backup the files up to 5 images. When more than 5 is removes the oldest backup.

You can PM me if you would like a sample of this script.

Edited by HostingItAll

We don't back them up to FTP as we run all of our machines in RAID.

RAID is not a backup solution, mate.

Your machine can still die.

Your RAID controller can fail.

Both drives can fail at the same time.(Seen it happen, same production batch, can be ouch.)

It's a risk you're willing to take.

But don't make it sound like it's a backup solution to be running a RAID.