Using TCAdmin on Linux with a Windows master server

Dennis

Hi, forum

We've been sneaking around on the internet because we need another server. While searching, I came across some posts saying that Linux servers are better at caching RAM, which apparently is a good thing for Minecraft.

I wanna know whether Linux or Windows is best for hosting servers. We mainly host Minecraft, but we also host a good handfull Counter-Strike: Source and Global Offensive servers.

Any input is much appreciated :)

We've never had any complaints, but if our customers will have a better experience and get more out of their assigned RAM, then we want to use a Linux server - but will it be possible with a Windows master server?

Oh, geez... I totally forgot all about the different game IDs. Now we have a Windows and a Linux server, but the IDs are 9 for Windows and 10 for Linux. I've been trying to find out a way to make the customer choose which server he wants to have his server on, but that didn't help me much, because the Game ID option in the TCAdmin2_Advanced module for WHMCS only allows one id.

Is there a work around?

Actually, I think it works like this. The Windows cfg is usually the template(Which you can select that way). But when the API finds that a Linux server has less slots(depending on your API setting). It'd pick the Windows template, then put over the Linux specific things.

What you could possibly try, if the above is correct. Make another Datacenter in TCAdmin and name it Location(Linux). Then they can select it at the Datacenter dropdown in WHMCS

That's what I've did, but when I take a look at the Monitor Console, it shows this:

Adding task to queue: 825

Using API settings for user id 1. Servers: * Selection: LessServices

Checking server... id: 1 name: Master

Server is in different datacenter.

Checking server... id: 2 name: Remote 1

Server's operating system is different.

No Windows servers were found in datacenter 2

System.Exception: No Windows servers were found in datacenter 2

at TCAdmin.GameHosting.Automation.AutomationProcesses.?()

at TCAdmin.GameHosting.Automation.AutomationProcesses.Start()

at TCAdmin.TaskScheduler.ModuleApi.StepBase.Start(Object arguments)

You are sending the game id for windows. If you want to create the game server on the linux server you need to send the linux game id.

In your product settings can create a custom field of type dropdown. Name it "Operating System" with value: 9|Windows,10|Linux

In the product's module settings set the value of game id to "CustomField:Operating System"

• 1 month later...