Hardlink

ringo

Has anyone ever thought, instead of each server having its own set of files, that maybe some of the specific file can be hardlinked, inturn saving so much diskspace. This was just a thought I was having, and Im not sure if its even possible.

Windows 2012 has this built in. You need a second hard drive. It doesn't work on the system drive.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2012/05/21/introduction-to-data-deduplication-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

On linux you can do this with the game's custom scripts. Place the files outside of the folder that tcadmin copies. Create links after the game server has been created.

I rather keep it all separated.

Hard drive space costs next to nothing right now.

And if one guy breaks his server, the other folk don't notice it.

You could potentially create a single point of failure.

Or if someone wants to customize his server, he can't because all the files are locked for security reasons.

One thing to consider with this option is the possible implications of trying to multiuse a file for a high paced program. I have not looked at doing it for the low $/TB cost of storage reason. However, I do understand that servers do start adding up. Just be certain to fully test it first and to understand what will happen as multiple servers need data from the same file. It may offer a performance boost, it may also offer a glitch. Just venture forward very carefully with lots of research.

I may set it up to where i can use one set of files per say 3-4 servers which means im saving anywhere between 1-5 gigs per server. It also means that I would be able to start using my 15k SAS drives or even my SSDs. I'll record any positive or negative results I may have for others, just in case anyone else wants to venture down this road.