Memory not releasing

church

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">church</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Anyone seeing metamod 1.7.4 amd amxmodx 1.01 not releasing memory. I am seeing servers that do not restart for 3 or 4 days hitting 190- 240 megs of ram. If anyone can confirm this let me know please.

</td></tr></table>

HL based games will eat memory and hold it until you restart them. However 240 seems a bit steep to me. Our 24 person Day of Defeat server never goes over 130 or so.

Yes i have never had this problem before, nothing like this. This is for 2 20 man cs servers and a 20 man dod server. Is there anything that could lead to the server not wanting to give up the memory on the servers. It never used to do this before. By the way, I am not seeing any problems in debugging the gaming servers. And 1 of the servers is just using stock amxmodx base 1.01 and dod addon 1.01, no other plugins added. Any help on track this problem of mine would be a great help. TY

HL games will eat up ram on a windows system, and not release it. Thats why most hosts restart their machines once a week. It has to do with the game engine itself.

I may suggest that you use the memory feature that LFA mentioned above. While the game will eat when full, it should back down when the game is idle.

If you are referring to Day of Defeat those numbers seem normal. Our 24 player DOD server was idle at 109mb roughly this morning. A quick restart and it's idling around 60mb. DOD will eat and not release until restarted. What you are describing is not out of the ordinary for HL based games.

If you think there is something wrong, then simply restart the server on the desktop without any interferance from the panel etc... and let it run for a day. You should see the same results after the server has been active for a while.

Archived