Hello,

I have a question for you all.

Right now I got TCAdmin hooked up to a database located in a different country then the Master server. (Not far).

I fell like TCAdmin is running "a little slow", and I was wondering if I should just install a MySQL server locally just for TCAdmin?

What do you suggest?

I have the same, locally.

I'd say it's worth a shot at the least and shouldn't be too hard to implement.

I'm working on it now. Just installed mysql server, and only allowed access locally.

And one mysql database won't use that must of the servers resources.

Edited by Evilsystem

You'd be surprised, it goes quite fast the more remote servers you have.

Not long ago I suddenly had a max connections reached error.

Had to raise the limit on the MySQL server, my fault for growing too fast, oops.

Page loads will always be faster when you have the database hosted on the same server as the master.

We once made the fault of buying a server that would work as our master server in USA... Our other servers are in Europe. Some pages took seconds to load.

Page loads will always be faster when you have the database hosted on the same server as the master.

We once made the fault of buying a server that would work as our master server in USA... Our other servers are in Europe. Some pages took seconds to load.

It's the same problem I'm having right now, which lead me to think the easiest and best way was to install the database locally.

But I still fell like the database should be hosted on a separate server?

Dammit, it was supposed to say 'have'. I'm chatting with a customer who had his server 'hacked' last night. I went to a party last night, and I almost just got home. I'm still a bit tired.

My bad.

I see, no problem.

But to answer your question, I don't like running anything else on the same server as the gameservers.

I don't know how you do it, but I plan to host some gameservers on the Master Server too. I know that some people do not recommend this.

But I think I've made up my mind, I'm going to host the database for TCAdmin locally. I get much faster load times that way.

We're not hosting any game servers on our Master server. A long time ago we did, but then we decided not to. I can't really remember why. I think we focused on buying a smaller server, which we did, and now our Master server has 48GB of RAM, a very good CPU and a shit ton of disk space. We only host game services for our self (fx servers were we perform tests on), the MySQL database, backups from all servers and all fast downloads. Oh, and we also host all game server files on this server instead of hosting them on each remote server. It works just fine for us.

In our experience, you can get away with running servers off your master- but that depends on:

1. The size of your customer base- how much traffic is your master taking?

2. The actual specs of your master.

We use our master as "standby" space if our remotes fill up, but actively try to keep it free from services.

With regards to the slow panel, that's a sacrifice you have to make if you host around the world. Our master was in Sydney, Australia and we had servers in Amsterdam- the load times were unbearable.