Is Anti-Virus needed for game servers?

gameguy32

Starting a new GSP, I've got 4 dual harpertown servers all with Windows Server 2008.

Is anti virus needed for a GSP? My customers won't be able to login directly to the server, they'll only have TCAdmin and FTP access.

Technically the customer could upload a virus with FTP, but can it do any harm? Since they won't be able to actually run/execute the virus?

I'm not 100% sure how all viruses work but I know usually they need to be executed

One thing I am concerned about is a virus that could be attached to a server config file, or a map, that could exploit the game server - for example the game server runs and runs that map file with the virus... is this possible? Or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks

As long as you leave the default settings of TCAdmin as they are installed you should nto have any issues with files that could be executed being a problem. However, running a virus scan on your servers on a regular basis is a good idea.

Do you know of any anti virus software that is either cheap or free for Windows Server 2008?

I bought Symantec Endpoint last night and it is just a headache... remote desktop stopped working after the installation (this isnt a firewall issue, its not blocking the connection it just lags it and then disconnects it). And after reading their forums it seems lots of other users are experiencing problems with Endpoint as well.

Guest Unregistered

Yes you can disable the real time protection, and yes you can schedule times for it to scan which is what i have done with my server, scans at 5am GMT :)

• 8 months later...

I was wondering the same thing. I don't see why I would need anti virus on the server.... I would be the only one installing something on it, or downloading to begin with. I most definitely will not be hosting gmod so I don't need to worry about the remote execution of dll. etc....

If anything does happen, I do have all configs and databases backed up and would be able to bring things up extremely quickly....

Anyone else want to share their thoughts? I wouldn't mind hearing them.

I would say you do not need an anti-virus scanner on your game server, since you limit the point of entry for the virus. If you're really paranoid, i'd suggest doing a nightly scan with ClamAV (free, trusted etc) but I would certainly not pay for one, or use a real time scanner as this will dent your performance quite a bit.

• 2 months later...
If you don't allow users to upload .dll, .exe, .bat, etc and if you don't download your game files from torrent hosts, then you don't need an antivirus.

If you open a web browser on any of your servers I would suggest installing some sort of AV.

I have seen a few get in from time to time, nothing really malicious but they can get in especially network worms if your not reallly secure. (passwords for Admin/desktop over 15 characters etc..)

Just choose something with little overhead.

Archived