TCAdmin + Linux = More Money!

Guest KP-Dallas

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Unregistered

I'll keep this short, and I realize this thread is very old...but people seem to keep bumping it!

*Puts on flame suit*

So. Much. Fail. It's not even comprehendible.

If unix was this horrible OS compared to Windows, why does every enterprise run their enterprise applications on LINUX? Also if you smart guys knew anything about linux, you'd know that supported RHEL isn't free. Most windows guys are scared of linux and can't function within it, and thats why they hate it so much.

As for game developers developing less servers for linux, yea, that sucks. Linux has much better memory management, io scheduling and process tracking -- and its so easy to script things and automate your work.

Anyway, I don't really care if everyone else seems to shun away linux -- thats why people like me command high dollar from enterprises to manage their LINUX (and UNIX) machines. The cloud pays my salary, and it doesn't run on Windows.

So keep telling yourselves that Windows is the holy grail; the linux penguin just took a crap in it :).

P.S. If TC Admin was smart, they would support anything redhat based (including CENTOS). All those other random distros don't mean anything -- they are such a small percentage of deployments. Debian and BSD would be nice to have, but the most common is RHEL based stuff.

Version 2 of our product will have linux support. However, I wonder if Linux had the same licensing costs of Windows would people still be looking for it so hard?

I do understand that RHEL does have licensing costs associated with it. I am referring to the free RH and Centos distros...

There are a couple of reasons why we have tried to shy away from linux.

1. Support nightmare. Let's be honest folks, once a linux product is released every kid with dreams of becoming a GSP will use it because it is free. But we all know they will have no idea what they are doing. Due to this fact a price increase will have to be made for additional support staff.

2. Most of the latest games from the major publishers no longer have linux binaries and they do not plan to for future games.

As far as the Linux OS. There is nothing wrong with it, and there is nothing wrong with the Windows OS either. I find a lot of Windows and Linux issues arise from people simply not knowing what they are doing with either OS.

Version 2 of our product will have linux support. However, I wonder if Linux had the same licensing costs of Windows would people still be looking for it so hard?

I do understand that RHEL does have licensing costs associated with it. I am referring to the free RH and Centos distros...

There are a couple of reasons why we have tried to shy away from linux.

1. Support nightmare. Let's be honest folks, once a linux product is released every kid with dreams of becoming a GSP will use it because it is free. But we all know they will have no idea what they are doing. Due to this fact a price increase will have to be made for additional support staff.

2. Most of the latest games from the major publishers no longer have linux binaries and they do not plan to for future games.

As far as the Linux OS. There is nothing wrong with it, and there is nothing wrong with the Windows OS either. I find a lot of Windows and Linux issues arise from people simply not knowing what they are doing with either OS.

I agree with the post above 100000%

every kid with dreams of becoming a GSP will use it because it is free. But we all know they will have no idea what they are doing. Due to this fact a price increase will have to be made for additional support staff.

Hopefully you gona make "2 versions" and charge more linux users :p

Else charge per ticket open if it's client's fault : best solution in my eyes + real (legal) GSP's won't mind paying a few bucks for support whereas kiddies will.

and in response to "unregistered" : well funny thing is that linux users wouldn't make good windows admins either. There is no best OS, the best OS is the one you are controlling better and that does what you want it to do.

When I first considered starting a GSP few years back it was all about linux but I figured out that on the long term windows was a best option for gaming. And today I can simply say I was right, a non negligeable % of my incomes coming from "windows only" games.

Archived