Data Holder Breech

ECF

I think this will only effect US merchants but I thought I would post it to give everyone a headsup on this.

Apparently there was a large breech into a large data holders computer network and many credit card numbers were compromised. Keep an eye out for large dollar amount purchases and verify your orders before processing. Here is a link to the breech info.

http://www.2008breach.com/

I've had quite a few fraudulent orders recently with a US address, thankfully Google Checkout filters them out for me.

If you know your standard order too, it's easier to pick out offenders. Comparing IP addresses (e.g a UK IP ordering something using a US card and a US address) can also help. If in doubt, contact the person, most fraudsters won't reply to any emails personally addressed to them - they like automated systems.

• 2 weeks later...

We dont tend to get too many through our game server arm, but you should see the amount we get through our hosting arms, lol.

We have a nice little trick to nip them in the bud. If an order looks remotely iffy, rather than spend ages checking emails, locations and other details for matches, we have a pre-written email we send out.

We find that it not noly puts the TGB's off (thieving gypsy bar-stewards), and instils the genuine customers with a little more confidence.

I've posted it below should anyone want to use it or base one on it...

Hi,

Your order has been put on hold as this transaction was flagged as a possible fraudulent one.

I apologise if this has inconvenienced you in any way, but we must act in the best interests of our customers and ourselves when it comes to matters of fraud.

To enable us to proceed, please fax a copy of your credit card statement showing the billing address and account number, or copy of your signed credit card (front and back) along with a copy of your photo ID to (your fax number). Alternatively you can email a scanned copy to (your billing dept email)

Once we have received this, we will be able to process your order.

Not only is it all legal to ask for, but isn't laways neccesary as you can tell by their reply (or lack) as to whether they are genuine. AND we have never either lost an order because of it, or had anyone complain about it, quite the contrary our clients are happy that we take a pro active approach to our security.

we have actually had one or two people email us pictures of themselves holding their card and statement etc............. very funny :D

Just watch the IP location. "copy of your signed credit card (front and back) along with a copy of your photo ID to (your fax number)." I used to rely on this until I got a couple chargebacks with copies of police reports as evidence that there purse had been snatched. It's not many but the purse and wallet thieves will have these items and are not to worried about providing the copies. But they allways seem to shunt tere IP off to timbuctoo to try ad avoid by tracked.

FYI. I never sign the back of my Credit Cards.

I used to do this until I thought about it. My logic was if I sign the back of my card they will just try to forge my sig and match it to theirs. But then I realized if you don't sign it, THEY will sign the back and the signature will be an exact match.

Moral of the story - sign the back of your credit card.

I used to do this until I thought about it. My logic was if I sign the back of my card they will just try to forge my sig and match it to theirs. But then I realized if you don't sign it, THEY will sign the back and the signature will be an exact match.

Moral of the story - sign the back of your credit card.

I disagree. But to each his own. They should be checking ID's regardless and we all know they don't Hell you dont even have to show the card anymore. I know at the wally worlds and Targets after you swipe it it says "hold card for cashier". How many actually do this?

I also maintane a seperate Card for Online purchases that has a cap of 350.00 . Every time the CC company ups the limit I have to call and bitch to bring it down.

Problem is that VISA and MasterCard will both raise cain if they find a merchant is regularly checking ID for a face to face credit card purchase. That is against their marketing of using a credit card as a "convenience"......

Plus if there is fraudulent usage of a credit card, VISA and MasterCard do not lose any money, it is the issuing bank, merchant or consumer who loses. The issuing bank pays VISA/MasterCard a fee to be able to use their product and marketing, we as merchants also pay fees to be able to accept them as a payment method, and as consumers, we pay interest and fees to be able to have the convenience of a credit card.

Problem is that VISA and MasterCard will both raise cain if they find a merchant is regularly checking ID for a face to face credit card purchase. That is against their marketing of using a credit card as a "convenience"......

Plus if there is fraudulent usage of a credit card, VISA and MasterCard do not lose any money, it is the issuing bank, merchant or consumer who loses. The issuing bank pays VISA/MasterCard a fee to be able to use their product and marketing, we as merchants also pay fees to be able to accept them as a payment method, and as consumers, we pay interest and fees to be able to have the convenience of a credit card.

Security is a needed inconvenience in my opinion.

I agree security is much more important than the minor inconvenience of showing an ID. Hopefully it will come around just like when using a check. When was the last time you wrote or cashed a check without showing ID?

LOL I get direct deposit and I have not written or cashed a check in years!! I think I still have the starter checkbook from my account with maybe 3 or 4 used out of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We dont tend to get too many through our game server arm, but you should see the amount we get through our hosting arms, lol.

We have a nice little trick to nip them in the bud. If an order looks remotely iffy, rather than spend ages checking emails, locations and other details for matches, we have a pre-written email we send out.

We find that it not noly puts the TGB's off (thieving gypsy bar-stewards), and instils the genuine customers with a little more confidence.

I hate companies that do this.. You know that Paypal offers a ONE TIME USE credti card number that is linked to your paypal account. I use it for ALL my online shopping because once the number is used, it can never be used again.

How would you propose some photo copy a credit card that doesn't really exist?

But hey, paypal can process credit card also, and if they are legitimate, they wouldn't have a problem using paypal. Your choice really, I just don't do business with online places that do this.

I hate companies that do this.. You know that Paypal offers a ONE TIME USE credti card number that is linked to your paypal account. I use it for ALL my online shopping because once the number is used, it can never be used again.

How would you propose some photo copy a credit card that doesn't really exist?

But hey, paypal can process credit card also, and if they are legitimate, they wouldn't have a problem using paypal. Your choice really, I just don't do business with online places that do this.

I saw this at one time, but about a month ago I wanted to use this feature and couldn't find it anywhere. Where do you get them at in paypal?

It's probably a sign KingJ, haha.

But yes, the virtual credit card system is quite useful. Also, if you've applied for the PayPal Debit Card, using it gives you 2% cash back on purchases.

Ive got the debit card, and I like it very much...

However recently I have seen they have been holding a percentage of the money I send / receive and for a reason I am unaware of... Hell I pay paypal enough money in fees, now they hold a percentage of my money? Pffttt

• 4 weeks later...
It's probably a sign KingJ, haha.

But yes, the virtual credit card system is quite useful. Also, if you've applied for the PayPal Debit Card, using it gives you 2% cash back on purchases.

It's actually only 1% cash back now and they do have a money market fund which used to pay up to 4.5% on your balance but that has dropped to below 1% now also.

Archived