Need some advise

Cibertec

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes you get what you pay for...I rented a AMD 2000 cpu, 256mb ddr, 40gig hdd @ 7k rpm, on a 100mbit network to make myself a gaming server, the datacenter had terrible lag, maybe routing issues? it was 90ms avg from North Carolina to Fort Lauderdale, FL I was disgusted. It runs on FreeBSD alone with no other daemons or crap, but still the latency was the problem it seemed not cpu or memory issues. My friend gets that ping on our Atlanta, GA server and he lives in Holland, and our other gaming buddy lives in Miami, FL and had the same ping on it as I did. I was thinking of creating a game hosting company on my spare time, then quit my dayjob when it picked up enough. But its hard to find a cheap hosting company that has no drawbacks, now I can rent a 2U rackspace from their providers @ $50 a month for 200gigs transfer, but I dont want that if their latency sucks as much as it does with their dedicated servers then I dont want it. Only datacenters I can find close to my home are too high priced, Im sure their latency is nice, though I would have to sell alot of servers to make any money to live off of.

Thats my 2 cents.

Sometimes you get what you pay for...I rented a AMD 2000 cpu, 256mb ddr, 40gig hdd @ 7k rpm, on a 100mbit network to make myself a gaming server, the datacenter had terrible lag, maybe routing issues? it was 90ms avg from North Carolina to Fort Lauderdale, FL I was disgusted. It runs on FreeBSD alone with no other daemons or crap, but still the latency was the problem it seemed not cpu or memory issues. My friend gets that ping on our Atlanta, GA server and he lives in Holland, and our other gaming buddy lives in Miami, FL and had the same ping on it as I did. I was thinking of creating a game hosting company on my spare time, then quit my dayjob when it picked up enough. But its hard to find a cheap hosting company that has no drawbacks, now I can rent a 2U rackspace from their providers @ $50 a month for 200gigs transfer, but I dont want that if their latency sucks as much as it does with their dedicated servers then I dont want it. Only datacenters I can find close to my home are too high priced, Im sure their latency is nice, though I would have to sell alot of servers to make any money to live off of.

Thats my 2 cents.

I hate to say it but looking at the configuration you listed for your 'gaming server' the problem in my opinion is the weak cpu and even weaker ram.. You couldn't play most games with 256mb ram what makes you think you could run a server with that configuration? This is what you are seeing and interpreting as 'lag'. It's very possible the network is junk too but given the information presented I would say it's the machine. You aren't evaluating the condition accurately is what I am thinking.

To be honest, You aren't going to find this perfect datacenter with zero drawbacks you are looking for. There isn't one. The right datacenter or provider is the one you can deal with and feel comfortable working with. There are companies we deal with that some would never consider and there are companies mentioned here that I wouldn't do business with if they gave the servers away.. It's a preference only you can answer.

I agree with Rich, you should definitely reconsider your hardware configurations. I don't think that you would even be able to get any more then one service running with out stability issues (linux or not).

When it comes to PC's and servers you get usually get what you pay for. Theres a reason why data centers offer low prices for minimal configurations. It's to get you in the door sell you the service then you realize you need a upgrade bad. With the proper hardware configuration you won't notice any "lag" at 90ms.

Just my opinion but I'm sure most others will agree.

Just wanted to give everyone an update on SoftLayer. Here is the e-mail I received from them today:

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Savvis will be added as a provider by the end of the day tomorrow (Tuesday). Is there anything else I can help you with today?

</td></tr></table>

Thats good that they have multi-homed fiber coming in. Now I just got to decide if I'm going with Dual Processor or Dual Core?

If this is your first box and its only for testing etc... a single dual core may be the way to go.

However, if you intend to use this box further down the road to host clients, I will have to agree with Rich and say "Get a dual CPU machine".

Depends. You talking Opteron or Xeon?

But I think you should look more towards 2gb of ram as a minimum. You don't want to be caught short when you find out about a bad patch from say EA that eats ram like it's going out of style.

Ok is this a good deal to start off with. This server is in Dallas at the Savvis Datacenter or should I just go with Softlayer. Need input quickly cause this deal ends by the 9th. The quote below if from DediCentral. DediCentral or Softlayer?

Softlayer has better hardware and bandwidth but the price will be around 265 for Softlayer.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Order Details

Main Package TX0209-Dual Xeon 2.4 HTT:

1-Month @ $125.00 + Setup: $19.00

Primary Storage: 80 GB IDE Hard Drive

Secondary Storage: 80 GB IDE Hard Drive

Memory: 2048 MB RAM $25.00

Control Panel: None

Operating System: Windows Standard 2003 [unsupported] $30.00

IP Addresses: 8 IP Addresses (5 Usable)

Tier 1 Bandwidth: 1000 GB Monthly Bandwidth

Uplink Port Speed: 100 mbp/s Uplink Port $10.00

Private Switch: None

Server Management: 100% Self Managed and Dedicated

Server Hostname:

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Package(s) Total $190.00

Package(s) Setup $19.00

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Sub Total $209.00

Total Due $209.00*

* $190.00 will be due on the next renewal date: 2006/03/06

(Domain renewals billed separately.)

</td></tr></table>

I would say untill you get comfortable hosting games, and know everything there is to know about all the diffrent settings and what not. Go with a cheapo dedi server and then upgrade when your ready to host customers. This also gives you a chacne to test out diffrent networks.

I would check the Front Side Bus speed on the Dual 2.4 from Dedicentral. Make sure it is 800 and not 533.

Then go over to softlayer and talk to Mary Hall, and tell her Kevin from TCAdmin will give her a TCAdmin t-shirt if she gives you a good deal :lol:

Either server should be fine for learning on. It's a good amount of money you will be spending with little or no return on it, so just keep that in mind :roll:

Yes Rich that could be the very situation, I new to gaming servers thought that configuration could handle a 12 slot cs 1.6 server alone, I also never recompiled a new kernel for it, so that plays into the servers performance some too.

Can someone explain about the kernel recompiling here

apologies for hijacking this thread its really got me wondering exactly how much info my head is missing :oops:

Then go over to softlayer and talk to Mary Hall, and tell her Kevin from TCAdmin will give her a TCAdmin t-shirt if she gives you a good deal :lol:

</td></tr></table>

I want to know how a guy gets one of these T-Shirts Kev is talking about.

We just had some swag printed up for our trip down to Kentucky next month for the Modernbill conference.

Still waiting for them to arrive, so we can see the quality. But the proofs looked decent.

If they come out all right, we may order more.

Archived