Need some advise

Cibertec

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">pyroarchy wrote on Mon, 06 February 2006 18:41</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Yes Rich that could be the very situation, I new to gaming servers thought that configuration could handle a 12 slot cs 1.6 server alone, I also never recompiled a new kernel for it, so that plays into the servers performance some too.

Can someone explain about the kernel recompiling here

apologies for hijacking this thread its really got me wondering exactly how much info my head is missing :oops:

</td></tr></table>

There a few manuals for this out there, I'm not familar with the details dealing with a gaming server. But you should always recompile the kernel if you ask me, get out the stuff that you wont ever be using.etc..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Hey, I'm new to these parts as well and need som advice for the way im heading, honestly i knew nothing about this field, until I cam accross a clan where the leader of it leased a dedicated server for a couple cod2 servers for his clan, eventually he allowed me access and almost permision to do anything for his server, since then... I have gotten tcadmin up and few different games, and even have clients of our own now, this guy, will fund everything (he even has a few hookups for discounts etc ,in the business), but he knows nothing, thats where i come in, I get to gain knowledge, expereince all for free, but then agian gain no profit, not like theres a profit to be made....yet...Ive found Its alot of work and what it comes down too is the support provided for the clients(I only have so much time i can give).

Now hes looking at buying a few servers, and co-locating them in some data centers, Ive done some research, and ive decided for down south level3, seems to be well connected, and peer1.net for ny and chicago. Anyone any objections to this?

Now obviously i cant get to these places myself to maitain these servers. Ive seen level3 provides their own staff for such necceseties.

Was just wondering if anyone had any beginner expereince/ tips for someone like me , if im headed in the right direction, or thingsto look out for?

Also, Does anyone know of any sites for things were relating to in this post? Game Server Admin community sites or anything of the sort ? If not... Would this be worth starting a site over? Would a Game Server Admin site be usefull for anyone else? Or would be intrested in the help of starting one ?

Quite a few people have tried to start GSP type sites. none that I have found are really all that large. however you may want to check out http://www.fpsadmin.com , they are a very nice bunch of people, and their forums have some good basic info in them on most of the hostable games.

As for anyone starting out in this business, I would suggest renting servers to begin. Servers are expensive, and very time consuming when something goes wrong with them. If you rent you can always walk away from them if things don't work out.

well what are some no bs dedicated server providers? I dont really want resellers so much, places like recon gamers, or hypernia, leetservers, etc.... Im looking for places more like peer1.net who have their own colocation but provide dedicated servers to rent.

Any suggestions for renting dedicated server? most speedy preferably? but also good service ?

Ryry since I've started this topic I've learned alot from everyone. So what I decided to do is rent a server from Softlayer. Soflayer has been great with their support and the server was setup within 2 hours. All the questions that I had they knew the answers to. I'm not running game servers yet however I will eventually. I've currently got a Dual Core processor running Plesk with 3 websites running and one website running with MSSQL database. I'm doing this mostly to learn all about the server and security before I jump into the game hosting. Call or e-mail Stephen or Amanda at http://www.softlayer.com, or you can chat online with one of them to get all your questions answered. Hope this helps and goodluck.

Archived