Modern Warfare 2

pesultra

"meh" was all I could mange after hearing the news about MW2 earlier. This is a HUGE blow to PC gamers around the world. So many people were eagerly anticipating this title (myself included) and now Activision and IW drop this big shit ball on everyone's head.

This is truly an epic fail on the part of both companies. They should have more sense than to do something like this and ruin a community that has supported them for many years.

I think anyone who has pre-ordered this game should cancel their order and let your money (or lack of) show Activision and IW that PC gamers will NOT stand for such BS.

"meh" was all I could mange after hearing the news about MW2 earlier. This is a HUGE blow to PC gamers around the world. So many people were eagerly anticipating this title (myself included) and now Activision and IW drop this big shit ball on everyone's head.

This is truly an epic fail on the part of both companies. They should have more sense than to do something like this and ruin a community that has supported them for many years.

I think anyone who has pre-ordered this game should cancel their order and let your money (or lack of) show Activision and IW that PC gamers will NOT stand for such BS.

I have done exactly that, and also created a petition. I'll start posting it around tomorrow, but I've already got 25 signatures by posting it on two forums (here and another forum).

Cancelled my pre-order earlier, they're going to be letting the communities, clan and businesses down.

I posted this over at our forums, naturally I invite everyone to post on IW's board + sign the petition (couple thousand signatures already):

As many of you may already know, Infinity Ward (the Devs for MW2) have decided to NOT include a dedicated server for their upcoming game. I strongly urge everyone to head over to: http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html and sign the petition.

Also signup and post your support on IW's forum: http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopi...13&t=121918 ... there are currently about 120 pages on that thread already.

Without a dedicated server Modern Warfare 2 will be an epic failure on the PC. Let the developers know how important they are for the success of their game!!

PESultra and myself were up all last night discussing this in length and talking about the possible implications this would have in the area of business we are all in that being game server hosting.

We both feel that if this was just accepted by the gaming community and none of us spoke about this serious cock up IW and activision has made that other game devs will follow thinking that they are acting in the best interests of the gaming community when in fact they are simply killing us all. GSP's and also the the end users alike will see a step back IMO instead of a step forward. We have seen this already with the release of OFP Dragon Rising and so far the general consensus is that the game flopped because of the lack of customisation in regards to server settings, maps and mods.

Let me just go on record now and say that I have a small feeling that this MAY and god willing be just another Hype generator attempt which is clearly working and I hope to god that they will release a day 0 patch containing the Dedicated Server files.

If the above turns out not to be true then I have to say that I feel our industry will be seriously affected by this move due to the game dev nature of copying materials / ideas that are proven to work and save money and time and thus if there are no Dedicated Server files for new releases then its very likely IMO that many GSP's will loose vast amounts of clients and subsequently may have to close their doors.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks guys.

I think anyone who has attempted to play left 4 dead servers hosted by other players can attest to how absolutely terrible they are in general. I am under the impression thats basically what this is, and if so, I highly double they will withstand releasing the server files for long.

I think anyone who has attempted to play left 4 dead servers hosted by other players can attest to how absolutely terrible they are in general. I am under the impression thats basically what this is, and if so, I highly double they will withstand releasing the server files for long.

Combat Arms is p2p based and all u get are lags and cheaters. But at least the game is free. MW2 will be a 60€ failure.

How are you going to lose money when there's no server files to host the game? that's like saying your going to go out of business because you cant' host a wow server.

It's just another game that will fail in the pc market move on and wait for the next game to come out. All of these people that are complaining I hope they have enough common sense not to buy the game....

Like you say ECF, people should stand up with this and cancel there pre-order. Its not just about GSP's, its about our way of playing and its not going to be Activision and IW that will change our clan's, our company's and our playing.

I was happy to see a new "good" game for this year since FarCry 2 & AA3 where real disaster. We had ArmA2 but it take to much CPU with the AI so many friends, clients and me where sure that we would not get "fuck" by IW and Activision ... but ... we are now. This is BS but what can we say.

As for us (clan & company), we canceled all our Pre-Order ... about 75. Hope that a lot of people do the same to show IW and Activision that its not the good way of doing things.

I think you are totally correct with that, money is the only thing they will listen to. All these petitions and such are a waste of time Activision and IW knew and knows full well that the PC community want dedicated server files, they are just hoping that they can cram IWNet down the PC gamers throat. And the thing that scares me is I see more and more comments about well maybe we'll try it then just let them know if its crap. And heard some GSPs say they intend to purchase the game to try and find a way to make a game server.

But alas it doesn't matter how much one screams "I don't like it", "Its no good", "Go back to dedicated servers" after you purchase the game. Once the game is purchased that is a permanent vote in favor of IWNet and even if the scale tips slightly against IWNet they are likely to proceed with it as its something they control and can milk down the line plus they’ll probably try and rationalize the tip as fear and more PR will fix it. The only way they will listen is if the scales topple over against IWNet through complete death to the PC game sales numbers so long as there is no dedicated server.

As a player I was playing CoD4 and planned to play CoD6 with my buddies, the few who had made a preorder cancelled it and no1 will buy the title.

Ive been told that even the SP was a fail and could be finished in less than 6 hours so definitely no reason to purchase. and idd not buying is the only way to show you disagree with what they are attempting to do to the PC gamers who have been litterally feeding IW for years.

While I would say vote with your wallets, but I don't think that will make any difference to IW. As a large corporation I am sure they thought this whole process through before dumping millions of dollars in sales down the tubes on the PC end of things.

There is a simple way to host servers and that is to co-lo regular gaming rigs with a decent vid card in it and allow your clients remote desktop access to it. However the cost of a server would be quite a bit more since the client would need to purchase the entire machine. Or you could also go the VM route and have VPSs for clients.

Citrix offers a free VM platform just FYI.

While I would say vote with your wallets, but I don't think that will make any difference to IW. As a large corporation I am sure they thought this whole process through before dumping millions of dollars in sales down the tubes on the PC end of things.

There is a simple way to host servers and that is to co-lo regular gaming rigs with a decent vid card in it and allow your clients remote desktop access to it. However the cost of a server would be quite a bit more since the client would need to purchase the entire machine. Or you could also go the VM route and have VPSs for clients.

Well I honestly hope no1 will even try to host mw2 servers

Problem is they have probably already thought of this. A couple bad things with this.

It will probably require a host and play scenario leaving a unusable player/host in the server.

Also most likely there will be a login and only one login per cd key so to run a server >> Yup thats right , you would need a second CD key.

Then again also there is still the matchmaking issue, ie no lobby to find that server unless everyone added in the player/host as a buddy.

Then of course there is the option of buying and decompiling the game, modding it to a extent and running hamachi or hosting your own community lobby to circumvent IWnet.

Sort of like the old DF lobbies they used to run outside of the Nova lobbies, although that was as simple as editing a startup.htm file. :)

Archived