Arma 3 Question

dangioffre

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the reply.

I see that its a V1 tcadmin xml im using V2. not sure if that would make a difference. It does only do 40 Slots max. Does that mean who ever buys a arma 3 server can change the slots?

Based on this reply, I don't think you should be selling anything to anybody just yet. I get visions of people like you who think they can start a business for easy money but will then rely on a support forum like this to ask very simple questions like the above.

You need to understand the differences between the 'Users' role and the 'Administrators' role and the basics of being a GSP before you start taking peoples money.

Based on this reply, I don't think you should be selling anything to anybody just yet. I get visions of people like you who think they can start a business for easy money but will then rely on a support forum like this to ask very simple questions like the above.

You need to understand the differences between the 'Users' role and the 'Administrators' role and the basics of being a GSP before you start taking peoples money.

Basicly you could just stop caring. Whether or not he knows his way around TCAdmin and knows every single variable and option has nothing to do with if he can run servers or not. You yourself have asked some questions that I would find easy to solve.

http://clientforums.tcadmin.com/showthread.php?p=70319#post70319

In the thread for Starbound, it's listed that the SteamCMD download aren't working. And if you look in the console, seeing that it's executing scripts is normal, even though there aren't any scripts. Experienced users of TCAdmin would know this. I don't think you should use TCAdmin for hosting. You clearly aren't experienced enough, and - according to yourself - you're not allowed to learn how to use TCAdmin by asking in the forums.

There's a huge difference in running a server without TCAdmin and running it through TCAdmin.

You will often find that the problems you're using too much time to solve has a very easy solution.

Edited by DennisMidjord

I can't stop caring as he'll eventually start selling servers to people and then when stuff goes wrong the customer is the one paying for something that the host doesn't know how to fix.

To be fair, yeah I have had 2 problems myself. Both of which I have fixed myself as the TCAdmin dev's don't care. My MySQL problem is a fault with TCAdmin where it requires the database user have remote connection access despite the fact it's connecting locally and the Starbound SteamCMD issue was fixed by just changing some parameters in the config so TCAdmins Steam downloader works now.

But they're very bespoke problems that I did eventually solve on my own. Whereas the issue with slots can easily be resolved with use of regular expressions to ensure the slot count isn't changed.

Oh, so the problem with Starbound was in fact that it wasn't configured correctly with SteamCMD? Wow, who would have thought that it could be an error in the config when it was a config created by the community and not an official config.

OP has at no time said this was 'live' services.

Questions are being asked on these forums. If you don't want to give a relevant answer, don't answer at all. If you want to help others, then do it. The fact that YOU also have asked for help is very ironic - even though you later solved the problem by yourself.

Oh, so the problem with Starbound was in fact that it wasn't configured correctly with SteamCMD? Wow, who would have thought that it could be an error in the config when it was a config created by the community and not an official config.

That's correct, despite various people on these forums saying that it's not possible to get Starbound to download via SteamCMD through TCAdmin.

OP has at no time said this was 'live' services.

I know that, however I believe people should have a very good grasp on how the different game server engines work before they even start thinking about potential future customers. Like I said, I worry about the unsuspecting paying public who think they're getting a quality service but end up with a host who doesn't know how to fix basic problems and answer simple questions.

Questions are being asked on these forums. If you don't want to give a relevant answer, don't answer at all. If you want to help others, then do it. The fact that YOU also have asked for help is very ironic - even though you later solved the problem by yourself.

My initial answer on this thread was both relevant and helpful. Relevant to the fact that the OP doesn't seem to understand some of the basic functions of the product he is using and helpful in that he/she needs to realise that being a GSP isn't easy money and that it takes time to learn and set yourself up.

That's before you even take into account the marketing and advertisement that needs to go with it. The way someone presents themselves to their potential clients can have a lasting effect.

Yes, I asked two questions prior myself. Yes, you say you would have been able to fix them easily yourself. However I think even you'll agree that they don't fall under the basic knowledge requirements of TCAdmin. In fact you could say that both problems occurred because of faults in the software.

Don't get me wrong, TCAdmin is great however the lack of support is worrying.

That's correct, despite various people on these forums saying that it's not possible to get Starbound to download via SteamCMD through TCAdmin.

I was sarcastic. Of course you're able to download Starbound through SteamCMD. My point was that you asked a question that had a really easy solution, and when you saw OP ask a 'stupid' question, you were telling him not to host servers for people.

I know that, however I believe people should have a very good grasp on how the different game server engines work before they even start thinking about potential future customers. Like I said, I worry about the unsuspecting paying public who think they're getting a quality service but end up with a host who doesn't know how to fix basic problems and answer simple questions.

Getting a grasp on how the different game servers work and getting a grasp on how TCAdmin works are two different things. OP knows how to change the slot, but his problem had something to do with variables (config file for the wrong version of TCAdmin, probably?).

I've been hosting CS:S servers since 2009 (just setting them up and configuring them for the fun of it). When I tried doing automating this process in TCAdmin back in February last year, I found it quite difficult. I searched on the forums, read the docs, played around with the configurations, and eventually I got it.

TCAdmin is great however the lack of support is worrying.

Lack of support? I've been contacting Luis probably way too many times, and he always answers me within hours. They implemented BukGet when it was suggested that clients should be able to install plugins from the control panel, and when we suggested that searching in all categories would be a nice feature, they made it possible.

I also asked Luis for help with the BungeeCord query protocol, and within a couple of hours he had a solution, which has now been implemented. Whenever I ask for him to reissue my TCAdmin license, it's reissued in a couple of hours (sometimes minutes).

I also made a ticket regarding a bug when copying a mod, and less then 2 hours later he told me to upgrade to a new version that included a fix for this.

I have had more than 30 closed tickets, and they are always willing to help. Sometimes I just have questions, sometimes it's ssuggestions and other times I'm experiencing problems.

Yes, I asked two questions prior myself. Yes, you say you would have been able to fix them easily yourself. However I think even you'll agree that they don't fall under the basic knowledge requirements of TCAdmin. In fact you could say that both problems occurred because of faults in the software.

Knowing SteamCMD is pretty basic if you want to host servers such as Starbound - whether or not you're using TCAdmin. As far as I'm aware, the config file for Starbound was just made by the community and the person who made the config even told he could not get updates via SteamCMD working - that has nothing to do with faults in TCAdmin.

Variables is not just 'basic knowledge', but it sure does help you.

I don't mind people asking basic questions. I have probably done it myself. But for every question I've asked, I got a little more knowledge.

Edited by DennisMidjord

• 3 years later...