Looks like we will have no blackops dedi's.

Derek

http://gameservers.com/corporate/article.php?id=1730

"We are extremely excited about this unprecedented relationship with Activision to offer dedicated servers exclusively for Black Ops", says David Aninowsky, CEO of GameServers.com. "We are placing a great amount of pressure on ourselves to ensure that we exceed any and all expectations.""

You guys think EA is bad at least there are multiple providers for our clients to choose from. Talk about a monopoly.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hm just read that, and you beat me to post it.

Well, I supose Activision will soon realize how bad this option was.

What I'v seen from they are not covering half of the possible locations.

So soon we will see forum posts from guys living in Pakistan asking for dedi :)

Hm just read that, and you beat me to post it.

Well, I supose Activision will soon realize how bad this option was.

What I'v seen from they are not covering half of the possible locations.

So soon we will see forum posts from guys living in Pakistan asking for dedi :)

To be fair there is next to no market in Pakistan. GameServers is pretty much covering every location that matters. What matters is the fact that now our clients have 0 choice when it comes which host they would like to use.

o well guess it's no different then apple and at&t.

Sameway ATT is the only one that you can use the Iphone on.

Not the same type of situation. IPhone has competition and there are other products that offer the similar services. There is nothing else but a monopoly here.

Emailed this off to the DOJ just a bit ago.

antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov

Recently it has been announced that a major game developer and publisher, Activision along with Treyarch have entered into an exclusive deal which offers their newest release of their game, Call of Duty: Black Ops, to be sold as a service exclusively through GameServers.com or ClanServers. There are hundreds of Game Server Providers, myself included http://www.LowPingGameServers.com, that have been shunned by this latest development. Through the exclusivity of this arrangement it bars all other providers from the ability to rent virtual servers to a plethora of customers worldwide. This doesn't just encompass a single State or Country and is worldwide. I believe this is in violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act and The Federal Trade Commission Act.

I ask that you look into this matter and please advise.

Additional information can be seen here, http://forums.gameservers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40527

If you want this to change, you need to go out to the *community* and preach of the possible (negative) implications to the *players* (not just GSPs) that would come out of this decision by Activision. The DoJ probably doesn't care enough about some dumb vidya game to do anything even if it did violate some antitrust law. But people (customers) complaining will force Activision to rethink this.

been looking at this close now and i think alot of choices have to be made, the main reason they are doing this is to clamp down on the ammount of CRACKED servers that are hosted apparently... i for one been as small as i am, is now looking at packing my bags up and leaving all this monopoly behind

:(

If they are really going to listen to you I suggest spending a little more time on the email you sent off. ;)

Derek, that was at least a step in the right direction. If you believe that you can put something together more beneficial, then I encourage you to do so.

The DOJ is there to investigate and do the legwork. The email I sent went to the consumer complaint department which is responsible for investigating all claims. If they are paid to do this, then they should do it. I don't believe a witty repetoire is going to wow them into placing an injunction.

Derek, that was at least a step in the right direction. If you believe that you can put something together more beneficial, then I encourage you to do so.

The DOJ is there to investigate and do the legwork. The email I sent went to the consumer complaint department which is responsible for investigating all claims. If they are paid to do this, then they should do it. I don't believe a witty repetoire is going to wow them into placing an injunction.

eh.

I think we need to wait until someone other than GameServers comes out and says something. This may just be marketing hype and the terminology is still pretty vague.

i.e. "unprecedented relationship with Activision to offer dedicated servers exclusively for Black Ops"

This could just as easily mean they have servers that can host Black Ops, big whoop we all figured as much.

"GAMESERVERS.COM SELECTED AS THE EXCLUSIVE DEDICATED SERVER"

This is the only definitive statement that you can use as proof, and it was given to us by GameServers PR. As far as I am concerned, this is no where near concrete proof that we are shafted. I say wait until the heads of Treyarch speak, I spoke to the developers earlier during the summer and they never for a second indicated such issues with the GSPs. Yes I may have spoken to them more as a reporter, rather than a GSP owner, but I still maintain the wait and see approach.

Also, wtf is up with http://www.gameservers.com/blackops/,

Ranked and Unranked, this is becoming very unlike COD and more like Battlefield. What is the point of playing this game anymore if all this comes to fruition.

Archived